xisto Community
iGuest

Local Area Networks

TCP/IP works across LANs and WANs, and there are several important aspects of LAN and WAN topologies you should know about. You can start with LANs and look at their topologies. Although there are many topologies for LANs, three topologies are dominant: bus, ring, and hub.

Notice from jeigh:
Taken from: http://www.softlookup.com/tutorial/tcp_ip/ch01.asp. Do not plagarize from other sites, quote and give source.

SPAM ? Ok sorry just was in the mood :) .. while the question is out .. is it possible to really set up your own network ? .. i mean long b4 i had DSL i used to imagine if ppl could dial my number insted of the ISP's number and get connected to my computer, then with rights i have given they could use my internet. Althoughi know it sounds freeky .. but with people who just need to chat and nothing more, this was an option i could think of .. RegardsDhanesh.

Its all possible Danesh :)Im an old git as you should know by now :)Years ago before the internet I used to have to ring up a company in the USA over a 28.8k modem and download technical drawings from thier servers..At night they would turn thier modem on and unplug the phone so that people could get in via the phone line...Oh and before that...BBS @!@ prolly the only one on this site that used to use BBS :D)

I used to have to ring up a company in the USA over a 28.8k modem and download technical drawings from thier servers..

28.8k modem ? so, I started really long before you. Because I did this with a 1200baud modem, which means 1.2k ! I used kermit from my home PC in order to start command line instructions and download logs and results.Now, it's so easy to have a personal IP address, that it's useless to have to dial on a modem.