xisto Community
evought

Mad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner Firewire/USB, Good Buy for a Mac

I have slowly had my CD-RW/DVD-R drive on my Mac PowerBook fail. It would read disks when it wanted to and basically gave up writing disks. So, since I cannot get my Mac Mini for at least several months, I looked for an external drive to replace it and figured I would get a DVD burner while I was at it. I found the Mad Dog Multimedia 16X3DVD, tripple format DVD-RW/RAM, retailing at about $100.This is actually one of a rapidly shrinking number of Firewire/USB 1.0/2.0 external drives. The PowerBook has USB 1.0 and Firewire ports, the Sony VAIO in the other room has the same mix, so a USB 2.0 drive is right out. In general, I have a number of Firewire peripherals anyway and generally prefer it to USB. It is generally the only dual-protocol choice at most retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and is the only one of those that even mentions a Macintosh computer.Installation was drop-dead simple. I plugged it in, daisy-chained it to my external hard drive and turned it on. I was able to put in a blank disk and burn from iTunes instantly: no drivers, no software installs, no fuss. At 16X, Burning was snappy.The drive comes with Roxio Easy Creator for Windows as well as a disk of various clips for use in DVD creation. Roxio was obviously useless for the Mac, but since general CD/DVD burning/viewing software is builtin to OS/X, I don't miss it. The only possible downside is if you had a MAc old enough to not have an internal DVD-Reader; then you would have to find and install VLC or something to actually watch movies.It supports a staggering number of formats and disk types, including CD-R/CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+-R, and various DVD-RAM formats, including 9.3 GB double-sided cartridges.The last major feature is the case itself. It is solidly and stylishly built with a black metalic case that would go well with any design that Steve Jobs can come up with. All-in-all, I am very pleased with the purchase and intend to see what other peripherals Mad Dog has to offer.

I am new to all of this.

Mad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner

Replying to evought

Could you explain what daisy chain means. I have an external hard drive as well an my HP. I recently purchased the Mad Dog external DVD burner and am having problems creating a DVD slide show.

Thanks

-reply by Dianna

It means multiper expanders, some plugged into another.This is old, but exactly what I need. Can anyone suggest a new product, that I can get from Amazon or some other uk delivering website/store? Firewire, both usbs, cd/dvd, double sided, -+ if possible.

mad dog 16x3 dvd burner/where for parts?Mad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner

my firewire has went out on mine wondering where I can get a board for it?

I use this on a mac and works great for me but now I'm having to use the usb port for burning

thanks

-reply by brian

Firmware update for the mad dogMad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner

I am running Win7.  I actually like it quite well...But the system seems to be dropping the driver for the USB mass storage device within the external adapter.  I have found links to this occurance.  It seems to have to do with the firmware.  Unfortunately all of the links to this file have been dismantled.  The manufacturer of the Mad Dog 16x dual layer w/lightscribe external is no longer supporting this device.

Do you even know the actual mnufacturer of it?  I found forums claiming sony, but cant find any resources on sony.Com.

The file name is actually MD-16XDVD9_FW_2F9.Exe

any ideas?

-reply by Daryl

Firmware update for the mad dog

Mad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner

<p> I am running Win7.  I actually like it quite well...But the system seems to be dropping the driver for the USB mass storage device within the external adapter.  I have found links to this occurance.  It seems to have to do with the firmware.  Unfortunately all of the links to this file have been dismantled.  The manufacturer of the Mad Dog 16x dual layer w/lightscribe external is no longer supporting this device.</p>

<p>Do you even know the actual mnufacturer of it?  I found forums claiming sony, but cant find any resources on sony.Com.</p>

<p>The file name is actually MD-16XDVD9_FW_2F9.Exe </p>

<p>any ideas?</p>

<p> </p>

-reply by Daryl

No, I do not know who manufactured the drive internals. I have also heard "Sony", but I do not know it for sure.

Since my first post, mine has started making sounds like an airplane taking off and I am having trouble burning. I think the bearings might be failing. But I got a good bit of use out of the beast. I want to find a newer Firewire burner but they are getting hard to find.

transfer movie to mad dogMad Dog Multimedia 16x3dvd Dvd External Burner

how do I transfer movies from my pc to my mad dog burner that I want to record.  I have movies on my external hard drive, its a toshiba ex-hard drive.

-reply by michael bunkem

<p>my firewire has went out on mine wondering where I can get a board for it?</p><p>I use this on a mac and works great for me but now I'm having to use the usb port for burning</p>

We are having the same problem now: won't work on Firewire but will on USB. We are looking for a newer external burner with Firewire/USB/Mac/Linux support but not getting very far. I would like to be able to burn Blueray disks just to be able to take advantage of higher capacity and do larger backups.