xisto Community
m107

Remove Sound From Avi

i downloaded a movie and now there is a voice over the movie and i wanted to remove it but i do not even have a clue where to start.so any help will be greatThanks

If you use Windows, try VirtualDub and see if it can do the job.

Download here: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
Home page: http://www.virtualdub.org/

The current VirtualDub release package for Windows is
"VirtualDub-1.6.14.zip". Download and unzip the .zip file
into a new folder. Run VirtualDub.exe

In VirtualDub's "File" menu, select "Open video file", and open the .avi file.

In VirtualDub's "Audio" menu, select "No audio".
In VirtualDub's "Video" menu, select "Direct stream copy".

In VirtualDub's "File" menu, select "Save as AVI."
Enter a new name and save the file.

If VirtualDub reports errors and cannot continue,
you may have encountered an AVI file that VirtualDub can't handle.

And if you are on Unix (including Linix, BSD, and many other flavors) then even better as you can get free professional package for video editing... Cinelerra - it is widely used even in commercial movies and such

you can even get workstations tweaked to work with it but they are not cheap

and if you don't have linux - don't worry - there are live cd's especially for video editing... you insert cd, restart and have shiny video editing workstation from your home pc, then you take cd off and everything is back to previous state... if you are on x86 then you should check Video Linux or if you are on x86_64 then you should check 64 Studio... you also might want to take a look at Dyne:bolic - live cd distro designed especially for artists, it should have something to author movies, you can also look for Knopix based MediaLinux live cd, but it seems their site is down for minute - anyway probably you would find many mirrors. Those are great live or not live distros especially for video editing and digital content authoring - and you get it for free :D

By the way, remember you should not download avi files from commercial movies, without verifying that the owners allow you to do this free of charge... And most of big cinema company don't.

I wanna remove the Russian voice(translation) from a movie but without destroying the voice of the original movie.Is this possible?-question by george

I have removed the sound from a video... And now I want to add another song to it... Do you know any program that can do that??-reply by bumblebee

Remove audio from videoRemove Sound From Avi

Thank you so much zeez  .I also faced the same problem for the last 4 days.I tried your suggestions.

It really works well.Virtualdub really works in this...

-reply by priya

Thx to zeezRemove Sound From Avi

I know zeez's reply is from 2006 but is still so useful. I had a video that failed to record the audio properly and it had a quite large size, so wanted to make it smaller removing the sound and even with some video editors softwares it was always forcing me to export it with sound to keep the avi format, even when I deleted the audio track. But virtualdub did the trick, in few seconds it removed the audio and reduced its size to 1/10 with same quality. So, again, thx zeez and virtualdub creators.

-reply by TFARG

virtualdub is good. Also you should try considering Super converter. Actually it is a converter. But it has this option of muting the sound in a video. Super is a full fledged converter. It is also good.