xisto Community
XIII

Happy Birthday Pc born on 12th., Aug., 1981

I wouldn't mind having a working build of one of these around the house to play with.Just playing around with Win3.11 and QBasic on an old laptop with a 16mb memory card in it was fun :D.

Just playing around with Win3.11 and QBasic on an old laptop with a 16mb memory card in

My first PC had 640 k memory, had two floppy disks and no hard disk. And it was a rich config, because most computers at these moments had 512 k mem and a single floppy disk reader.It was running IBM PC-dos, not Windows, and I would never imagine having more than one meg memory.
After a couple of years I bought a 10 megs hard disk (size of 30 diskettes, which was quite a lot at then moment) !
Edited by yordan (see edit history)

/me bakes his computer a birthday cakeIt's pretty cool if you think about it, it seems like PC's have been around longer then 25 years, and at the same time its impressive that they've only been around for 25 yeasr. In a quarter of a century we've made virtually all the progress that we have in computers. From being a blip on the scientific radar to engulfing the masses in the personal, industrial and scientific realms (among others) in such a short time is impressive. Plus it gave anti-social people a chance to shine (not that anyone here could be considered anti-social :D )Anyways, happy birthday computers. May ye have many more (since if you don't my profession choice is screwed)

I don't think PC should be synonymous with the x86 processor. This is highly misleading because the Personal Computer means that it's your computer and that you own it. That, is why it's called a PERSONAL Computer. Also, the name PC was actually popularized by Apple.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Also, the name PC was actually popularized by Apple.

Initially, the full name was "IBM PC". Then came a wider set of computers named "IBM PC Compatible" computers - same technology, same OS. Then, "IBM PC Compatible" was shortened to "PC", but remained "same technology, same OS". And historically, Apple Computers kept selling their own brand, until they tried join the huge PC wave.