xisto Community
swizzeron

Web Hosting From Your Own Local Machine. (very Easy)

I'd suggest, for people who are too lazy to do this, better get yourself some paid hosting. It really has become way too cheap. Serious damn cheap.
However, I'd love to try this out. Will do it. How about, how do I assign a domain to it? When am on a dynamic IP?

there's an option in co.nr....... i dont really remember where.....
but i've saw something like "hosting on dynamic IP" before in co.nr

go n look for it

I can make my own server ??when i clicked on ip page itz sayingIt was detected that you are NOT behind an ISP transparent proxy.Your Real IP Address is: 221.132.113.16xYour Real DNS is: tw113-static166.tw1.comI m using cable line net. optics oneplease tell me em really excite i cannot set dns :rolleyes:

Yes this would be an option but you'd better appeal to a professional web hosting company because you could deal with a lots of problems. You could even lose all the files and you wouldn't be able to restore them. Also I think the electricity bill will be equal to the money you would give monthly to a web hosting company. Maybe even more. Also if you want to have your all alone server you could aquire a VPS (virtual private server) or a Dedicated Server.Cheers!

Hi everyone

You can do all this and more on your own connection. Well, let me clarify that.

As long as your ISP doesn't block port 80, you should be fine.

Anyway, there's a whole bunch of lessons that'll show you exactly what to do at:

DIY Webserver / Hosting

Yes, that's a shameless plug for my own website running at home that shows you how to run your own website from home. :)

Mods - sorry if this is against the rules, but there seem to be so many people wanting to do this.

My connection has been up for 1477 hours (61 days) and 23 minutes, and I haven't experienced any problems with viruses, attacks or anything of that nature.Whenever I need to reset the server or the router, the client software on the server contacts my dynamic service provider and updates my IP address - so its a no brainer actually!

Anyway, if you visit, please leave a comment about how I can make the site better, or is there anything else you'd like to learn about.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Brad

-reply by Brad

Hi everyone

You can do all this and more on your own connection. Well, let me clarify that.

As long as your ISP doesn't block port 80, you should be fine.

Anyway, there's a whole bunch of lessons that'll show you exactly what to do at:

DIY Webserver / Hosting

Yes, that's a shameless plug for my own website running at home that shows you how to run your own website from home. :)

Mods - sorry if this is against the rules, but there seem to be so many people wanting to do this.

My connection has been up for 1477 hours (61 days) and 23 minutes, and I haven't experienced any problems with viruses, attacks or anything of that nature.Whenever I need to reset the server or the router, the client software on the server contacts my dynamic service provider and updates my IP address - so its a no brainer actually!

Anyway, if you visit, please leave a comment about how I can make the site better, or is there anything else you'd like to learn about.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad, the website contains really useful information for poeple who are starting with hosting thier own website. It contains some advanced topics on setting up mail servers and things like that, I particularly found the information on infinite responder to be of lot of help to me. Keep up the good work.There is also a way to use our own top level domains. We can use no-ip.com services to update the current IP address of home server to the free subdomain they provide, and then webforward this subdomain to the top level domain using services offered by zonedit.com. This can be useful in case when we need to move the site to remotely hosted servers, and also one can easily switch services without worrying about the visitors lost.Brad, is the site running on windows or linux? I suppose its on windows as all the articles are written for the windows OS. But then I am amazed at the stability and up time. Could you brief us a little about the security measures you have taken to prevent attacks and viruses if any, it would be helpful.

Edited by Spencer (see edit history)

Mods - sorry if this is against the rules, but there seem to be so many people wanting to do this.</p>

Currently no problem.Most of self-advertising posts are against our rules.
However, your post simply say "yes, it works on my computer, come and I will explain how it works", this is perfectly clear, honest and acceptable. This is exactly right in the center of our forum scope, which aim is to help people, providing technical solutions to their problems.

Currently no problem.Most of self-advertising posts are against our rules.
However, your post simply say "yes, it works on my computer, come and I will explain how it works", this is perfectly clear, honest and acceptable. This is exactly right in the center of our forum scope, which aim is to help people, providing technical solutions to their problems.

Thanks yordan.

I seem to have forgotten my old account, (I think....) so created a new one - beats me how I could have posted in the first place without one! lol

Will visit more - I found a link in my Google Analytics that came from Xisto (my original post) so, thanks for the link luv!

Cheers
Brad
PS Off to introduce myself now! :D

Hi Brad, the website contains really useful information for poeple who are starting with hosting thier own website. It contains some advanced topics on setting up mail servers and things like that, I particularly found the information on infinite responder to be of lot of help to me. Keep up the good work.
There is also a way to use our own top level domains. We can use no-ip.com services to update the current IP address of home server to the free subdomain they provide, and then webforward this subdomain to the top level domain using services offered by zonedit.com. This can be useful in case when we need to move the site to remotely hosted servers, and also one can easily switch services without worrying about the visitors lost.

Brad, is the site running on windows or linux? I suppose its on windows as all the articles are written for the windows OS. But then I am amazed at the stability and up time. Could you brief us a little about the security measures you have taken to prevent attacks and viruses if any, it would be helpful.

Hi Spencer

Thanks!

Re the TLD's - yep absolutely. I had up till a short while ago my own domain name, and it was pointed to my home server. As you say, that's a good way to go - you let people see a "respectable" url, but point it to the dynamic url, but its a simple matter to point to a real host should the need arise.

My site does run on Windows yes, with the XAMPP application - gives everything you need in one package and is all integrated so you can get started right away. A lot of people will diss that idea, but it is hard to get PHP running with Apache and mySQL with PHP and all the rest - the config files need to be the right places.... XAMPP just makes it so easy.

Security is covered in one of the lessons, but I found a better article:
http://robsnotebook.com/xampp-builtin-security
which goes a lot further. Might pay me to actually implement the points in that article. :D

As for viruses, I truly haven't had one, nor a worm or anything - although, here's a heads up. When I received my first broadband modem, the firewall was turned OFF by default. Madness! So folks, check your modem/router firewall and turn it on right now!

I've just moved house also, so that's another thing to take into consideration if you want to run from home. I even received an email from a subscriber saying "where's your site?!?!?" LOL. In that case, your comment about being able to point the URL to another host would have been really beneficial to me during the transition period, so I'll be looking at that too.

All in all, until I get some really heavy traffic, I'll continue hosting at home. Electricity costs aren't an issue - we have so little running in our house anyway, and when we don't use a device (TV etc) we turn off at the wall.

So thanks again, and hope to chat soon!

Cheers
Brad