xisto Community
jimmy89

Router Problems I cant connect the things

I recently bough a new wireless router to connect my laptop to the internet. Before this I already had two computers, one in the study and one in my bedroom. The study and bedroom computers were connected to a Broadband Router (Alcatel SpeedTouch 530), one via usb and the other Ethernet. They were perfectly fine, they could connect, share files and print on shared printers. Till i bought the Wireless Router!!To achieve the best reception for Wireless I had to place the Wireless Router in my bedroom. By the way the Wireless Router is a D-Link DI-524. The D Link was connected to the SpeedTouch via ethernet. The D Link has a internet out port, so i used that one (like it said!) I then connected my computer to one of the local ethernet ports on the D Link. The Problem is, i can't connect the Bedroom Computer to the Study Computer. I can't even ping the other computer!Below are some flow charts showing how the devices are linked together (just in case you couldn't understand what i said before)BEDROOM COMPUTER:Internet > SpeedTouch (Ethernet) > D-Link (Ethernet) > ComputerSTUDY COMPUTER:Internet > SpeedTouch (USB) > ComputerWIRELESS LAPTOP:Internet > SpeedTouch (Ethernet) > D-Link (Wireless) > ComputerAlso, the Laptop and Bedroom computer can sahre and print fine (I workewd that bit out fine!)Thanks!!

That might be quite hard to do with that network configuration. Your wireless router routs the internet traffic of your BedroomComp and the Laptop to the DSL router, thus all traffic to the wireless router from the D-Link router is as it is coming from the internet. That means that for BedroomComp and Laptop, the traffic from the StudyComputer might aswell be coming from Internet. I'm guessing both, the wireless router and the firewalls in Bedroom and laptop limit this traffic and you are not able to share hard disks and printers. What I am suggesting is that you forget the USB connection and connect all the machines to the wireless router. The DSL router would just route the Internet traffic in and out of the wireless router. With this configuration you can get all the disk and printer sharings to work and in addition you can use the firewall capabilities of either the wireless router or the DSL router more efficiently.

Hey Hercco,Thank you for your help. I was hoping it would not have to come to having to move the wireless router (I get the BEST reception where it is), but as you said the study computer would work if the if it was connected via ethernet to the D-link. I tink im going to go with that so i will be able to print off my laptop (just what i need!!)But, the strange thing was that when i opened up a few ports on the D-Link and the internet modem i was able to get a connection going between the bedroom and study computers. The only reason I didn't keep it was that i think i may have opened all those ports to the internet (I think) so i closed them right away.Thank you for your help!!