xisto Community
WeaponX

Resolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

How to fix screen resolution... make me mad like bull!

Keywords "not connected to network and home PC." Here we go; click start, control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on or off. Uncheck the box that says Fast User Switching.

I hope you havent given up yet buddy, or done anything crazy like reload your OS or buy a new video card. Aye yieyie. Thank you people. I'll be here all week.

-winuxadmin

Mine does, I hav a 82810E, or similar to that and mine does this. My other computer had the same, and it didnt do this, maybe cuz I had another graphics card for multi monitor setup.

same problem here

Having the same problem here, I think, on a new Vista Lenobo laptop with nVidia, in dual screen mode - it forgets the resolution of the external screen, both every reboot and occasionally during UAC and such. Seems like there are a few people out there with the problem, but no fixes :(

-reply by Dewi Morgan

Seems to be a scheduled task

Disabling the scheduled "multimonitor" service fixed it for me on Vista, and my multiple monitors are now working fine (what is this scheduled service for? Why does it break things so badly?):

Control panel ->

Task scheduler library ->

Microsoft ->

Windows ->

Mobilepc ->

TMM ->

Disable

-reply by DewiMorgan

Solution: Resolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After RestartResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

Its very simple and easy to correct this error.. It just matters in editing the registry... I had the problem previously and rectified myself by following this procedure.. I request you to take a backup of your registry before doing this...

1) Go to Start --> Run  -->  regedit   and press enter

2) Click 'Edit' and click 'Find' in the Edit menu

3) Type ' DefaultSettings.XResolution ' (without quotes) and click 'Find' 

4) Now double click it and change the hexadecimal value to 400 which corresponds to 1024 

5) Click 'Find Next' and repeat Step 4)

6) Now do the same for ' DefaultSettings.YResolution ' (without quotes) and change the hexadecimal value to 300 which corresponds to 768 and restart.

If this worked for you just reply so that others can make use of your comments..

-reply by jshanthilal

resolution changes automatically restartResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

Hi Shanthilal...It absolutely worked!!

Thank you.But now...Only if you have a registry "magic" for KEEPING the Color Quality at 32 bit too (it changes to 16 bit on every restart).I have XP (and the new graphics card is NVIDIA)...THANKS!

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

Replying to iGuestThank you very much It worked and all has settled down.My cause was from a Call of Duty 4 froze while in play and the computer was turned off by turning the power off and the registry remained in 800 x 600 mode

All the best

- Garry

ThanksResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

Great! The 'Default Settings.XResolution' key worked!

Thanks for posting :)

Alex

Resolution problem after restarting your PCResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

Replying to WeaponX

Hi !The solution is :Start menu>Run>type "msconfig" without quotes>select tab "BOOT INI"Probably you´ll see the menu called "Boot Options", there you should uncheck "/BASEVIDEO".Restart and éverything should be just fine :)-reply by Meigo

screen resolution changing frequentlyResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

hello sir

I hv a samsung 15'' TFT monitor nd ihv used itSince 2yr but now its screen resolution changing to high nd sometimesTo low I.E 800*600.Due to this when start my pc the display is notComing but booting is occuring means the booting sound is coming.

thereforEverytime when I want to start my pc I hv to change the the monitorWith my friends monitor and hv to change the resolutio to1024*768.Afterthat I connec t to my monitor and turn on my pc.

Please send your reply soon so that I will be obiliged

-reply by sekhar mohanty

resolution changes automatically restartResolution Keeps Changing To 800x600 After Restart

For those that are having problem with XP reverting it's resolution to lower resolutions on restarts... My husband had a similar issue and realised that if he upgraded his direct X to the newest one it fixed the problem... Might be an answer for some of you out there. It fixed his issues on a completely new installation that was doing it.

-reply by Maria

I have the same problem except I change it to lower resolution and 16 instead of 32 because I can't see the little letters and it hurts my eyes.  I don't do anything but log off user and it power down to rest only, not off, and when I open the top it comes out of rest and automatically it changes back to highest resolution available... I can't see it... And have to go back into the control panel to change it.  It's a bother  

-reply by Diana