xisto Community
zomowiec

The Best Media Player?

Hehe thats true!!

Thats why I use such an old winamp...it doesnt search my HD on startup etc like most players do to try to index your collection against the index it keeps itself..
The worse offender of all time for this imo is Musicmatch Jukebox..I had an old mp3 player that HAD to use this garbage program to TX mp3s over to the Mp3player;( Jukebox uses this WatchFolders thing where it seems to be scanning your HD every ten mins for changes...thats a big performance hit on a 250 Hd !!!

The best program ive seen for handling huge collections like mine is Traktor but hey I paid hundreds of $ for it and its a proffesional package for Djing..you can store an amazing amount of mp3s and it actually analyses each mp3 you play on it and it writes a tiny text file in its dir with things liek BPM-Pitch-Key-Analysed DB so if u copy that dir..u got all the data on your tunes backed up too...when you start Tracktor it does an check of this dir and works out if youve moved or deleted files and looks for them for you..but once its all set..it can load thousands of mp3 and have them waiting in a que ready to play...truley the best mixing or listening program there is...ever get annoyed that one mp3 is louder than the next on the playlist? Traktor will autogain all your tracks to a specific DB if you like :D no more diving for the volume as a super loud track kicks in!!
Wanna slow down or speed up tunes? Wanna Play 4 mp3s at once? wanna use effects on all of those mp3s at the same time? wanna record stuff and alter its key/pitch/speed

Traktor Homepage

If people like this Traktor and get into it...Ive been using it since it came out..beta tested different versions and post on the forums a bit..I could make a How To for this site of the basics of using it..

Mark420;)

Edited by Mark420 (see edit history)

Holy sweet **** I'd love to get my hands on something like traktor... unfortunately I'm broke as can be with tuitions and rent and whatnot :D Really it's not that insanely expensive right now (seems they have a 60% price reduction for the anniversary or something) but still.. I couldn't spend 100+ bucks on something that plays music heh. I'd rather spend it on an actual decent speaker set since mine is dieing...but I digress.Traktor does look pretty intense though. Worth checking out for serious audiophiles

I think no one has pointed out MusikCube yet! It's really a great audio library manager. For people who need correct tags for their music like me (and I have 6 songs short of a thousand ;)) it's a really great library. For tagging I used Picard from MusicBrainz. It's really great, and it gives you the absolutely most correct tags for songs, which is something that I'm obsessive about. :D

I'm actually using iTunes now instead of MusikCube, even though it is a great piece of software! Much more responsive than the bloated iTunes... and I really can't remember what made me go back to iTunes from MusikCube! Oh well, I must've had a reason. :o

jetaudioit is the besti am using it for 6 years and i did not find any problem.by jetaudio you can manage your music, rip your cd, record, conver video and audio and work on tags !it is free software

For me the best media player is Mplayer for linux. It can play all format like VCD, DVD, Ogg, Mp3, MP4 and others. Also you can use Windows *.dll file if Mplayer isnt support the format yet, like WMA!. It has nice GUI and easy to customize.

And for audio only, I use zinf audio player (http://www.zinf.org/). It's better alternative to XMMS. I've used long time with my ubuntu machine.

For windows, XMPLAY it's the best audio player I ever used!!. It only take 1,7 MB of RAM (Winamp 8,1 MB of RAM) and no instalation required. Just unzip then PLAY!. It skinable and have alot of feature. For me, the sound output of XMPLAY very clean comparing to Winamp!. And the most important, it's FREE!!.

you can download xmplay at http://www.un4seen.com/ :P

Edited by masterio (see edit history)

I think the media player classic is a good media player. Its compact, it can play near anough any video, picture and music file and it comes with a full codac pack that can be used with other programs.

It is free software if you wish to download please go to this website  http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

-reply by emma