xisto Community
Quatrux

Google Sitemaps anyonme use it?

I found the service Google Sitemaps really useful and all the online google sitemap creators of your website too, but I have a little problem for it and hope I can find my answer here on Xisto forums. I have created a sitemap for my several sites, but you know I need to verify the site with an uploaded file or with meta tags, I did as said but for 2 months now I am getting this error:

Verification status: Pending verification Last attempt Jul 2, 2006: Our system has experienced a temporary problem.

And the question is is the sitemap functioning ? if it is then good, but I want to know the stats and other stuff? Or others don't have this problem? and what if I will create a fake sitemap for other domains/websites which does not belong to me? I can, because they might work without verification.. :(

The service is rather good especially if you have a web site with dynamic content. Search engines have problems crawling dynamic web pages, so the sitemap help them a lot. Or so it's supposed to be.I have a web site with a CMS (Joomla!) and a forum (IPB). I have found plugins for both, so they create new sitemaps every week. The sitemaps are correct, and I have been using them for two months, but Google still doesn't display my pages' content, only the meta tag. That's the only problem I have encountered.As for your problem, I can only think that you have made a mistake, but that is silly, since you have probably corrected everything during these two months. Try contacting Google, they will help you fro sure.

Is the sitemap functioning

Yes it is.

I have created a sitemap for my several sites

Do you really mean that you have created only one sitemap containing urls belonging to different websites? if that be the case, i'll like to suggest you to create one sitemap for each of your websites.

what if I will create a fake sitemap for other domains/websites which does not belong to me...

How will you verify other domains/websites which do not belong to you? The status of those stuff will remain unverified and you will get no report.

I did as said but for 2 months now I am getting this error:

You may consider posting your above query here.
Also your server must return a HTTP 404 status code for pages that are not found, and not a 200 or anything else. Please check this link.

Regards,
Sid

I found the service Google Sitemaps really useful and all the online google sitemap creators of your website too, but I have a little problem for it and hope I can find my answer here on Xisto forums.

I hope anyone can explain to us what is sitemaps exactly and what is its usage?, i never heared about it before, may you miss so much information when you are busy collecting money :unsure:

As you know, Google indexes you pages by following links on your and others sites. Since that can be rather slow, and problematic for web sites with dynamic content, Google has created Google Sitamaps. By using the sitemap, you can tell Google exactly where you pages are. Anyway, Google it if you want to know more :unsure:

Just added my site to SiteMap. The verification seems kinda weird. We have 2 options .. 1 is the uploading of a webpage in a file name that google provided and then we hit verify. and second is the adding of a meta tag in the index page. Since i have my site redirected thru co.nr .. adding my redirected address for verification isnt possible, but adding my Xisto domain verifies properly. I did both .. the html upload and the meta tag verification, so i cant tell u which actually worked (sometimes its frustrating on google). But i made a sitemap and uploaded it to google SiteMaps.When i started making the blog, google spiders indexed me once .. and after that they havent come back, tho i added my site to their url list. Anyways .. lets see if sitemap helps index pages faster.RegardsDhanesh.

Incidentally, I have done the same with my blog and my website. I did not know how to create a sitemap for my site - I have just given the RSS Syndication feed of my site to the Google Sitemap. I do not know if it is of any use. Moreover, how do I create a Sitemap for a site like mine. It will be ever growing as I go on adding content to it. I am using Drupal as the CMS. Is there anyway to create Sitemaps automatically for all the nodes? That is automatically create a Sitemap that contains URLs to all the content pages of the site?

I don't really know Drupal CMS, but there must be a solution. Since the pages are dynamic and their number is constantly increasing, it would be a pain in the *** to write down all the pages manually. There must be a script (or a plug-in for Drupal, if supported) that creates the Google Sitemap automatically. Moreover, maybe it can be set to do so every week or so - that's what I am using with my web site and forum.

Ah Danesh! That is really helpful. Oh boy. You really know how to find your way around the internet space. OK. I do not have access to certain things here. But I think I can get it done by end of this week, and let you all know how things went.

I had posted this link before in Xisto forum, this tool is really nice for generating Google Sitemap as well as Yahoo urllist.txt file . It has been discussed a lot in Google Group. So, you may check it out.
gSiteCrawler

Edited by sid.calcutta (see edit history)

By the Power of Google .. FireFox and The Holy Search Strings :D lol .. let us know about your progress .. that reminds me i have to check mine ..

Regards

Dhanesh.

Thanks a lot dhanesh, that Drupal Module is working like a Module made in heaven. I had no problems installing it and getting the SiteMap. I submitted the Sitemap to Google Sitemaps, and in two minutes flat they could verify it as a Sitemap and everything is OK now. :unsure:

I think though that the Googlebot would take some time before it crawls my site. And then, it will stay down because of the Google Sandbox effect. :D

Do you really mean that you have created only one sitemap containing urls belonging to different websites? if that be the case, i'll like to suggest you to create one sitemap for each of your websites.
Regards,
Sid

Well, yeah, I meant sitemaps, this was just a silly mistake, well anyway the file really exists, because they even provide an anchor link to it in the panel of Google Sitemaps and when I push on it I see that file with no 404, my server is set alright and responds well, I don't even see google coming to that file in the stats, they just say that this is a temp verification error as I quoted in the first post of this topic, well I just wanted to knew if this was/is a global problem, I will contact google as soon as possible. In that time I even wrote and auto sitemap updater, when I create a new database entry it is written/added in the sitemap file as gzip file, but still I need to resubmit it at the Google Sitemap Panel manually, but I get Google temporary error. Anyway, I hope Google Sitemaps support is as good as Google Adsense. :unsure:

Overall, I can't say enough good things about google sitemaps. Afterall ... you can tell the googlebot when you have updated your site ... and often you would like it to return ... and what pages your site includes.I did an experiment recently. Two brand new domains (newly registered) were both indexed completely and in google within one week. This was mostly due to using google sitemaps.In the past, new domains were excluded from google for ages. (Perhaps at least six months.)