xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
honeycomb

What's The Best CMS CMS or not CMS?, that is the question

When I found Mambo I stop of creating my own codes. Now I use the CMS to all my sites, just editing the templates and adapting the components and modules to my needs (however, almost all your needs are covered for the existing components). Previously, I tried PHPNuke, but I found it so complicated that I preferred to use my own codes.

I'm not a huge fan of CMS's. I have always sort of felt that by using a CMS you end up having a site that looks like someone else's. Guess in reality that doesn't have to be that way if you spent time on customizing the templates, etc. But then again I'd rather spend that time creating my own code.Anyways for blog I have used WordPress which is really neat system and seems to be constantly improving.

Blogger is decent if you don't mind having ads on your blog. But I hear MT is good and the newest version (3.1) has just been released. I don't use a CMS but I hear MT is good.

I'm not a huge fan of CMS's. I have always sort of felt that by using a CMS you end up having a site that looks like someone else's.

same here. and agreed. i think i prefer designing and creating my own websites. sometimes CMSs make things more complicated than they need to be.
and yeah, MT is excellent! the installation part was a hefty bit to get through for me, mostly because the installation instructions weren't written well. but that was MT 3.0, maybe 3.1 has changed.

i don't use any content management system. I usually buy the pre-built template and edit it to become my site. It will save more time and site look much professional. Just my 2 cents. I don't change any color structure once the site is done. No need to use cms.

I am currently looking at Mambo, my first CMS, it seems good for what I want to do, but I think I need to look at it more to get an idea, I feel I'm going to have to re-write parts of it, Mambo doesn't produce valid XHTML, that's not a problem for everyone, but I have to use XHTML, the Administrator Control panel could be better, but I'm not basing this on another CMS just my knowledge on what else needs to be there.It's still good, you can design your own templates and have the board switch to it in a matter of seconds. You'll just need to read the development manual and have knowledge in PHP/MySQL and web design.I believe other CMS software would be similar, but to get an idea on where each and every CMS is heading, is to try it out for yourself, which I intend on doing, just to gather ideas I can use.Cheers, MC