xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

My New Keyboard!

Hey! My local RadioShack store is closing and stuff is 40-70% off so I took a look around. I purchased this $80 wireless keyboard and mouse set for $47 and I think it is great. A friend of mine also has this exact same keyboard. I'm using it right now with my laptop and I love it! :( I can type almost 20 feet away from my computer, lol. Well, when I get my new computer, it is going to be used for that.

The mouse is really uncomfortable (to me) though so I'll probably end up just buying a better mouse (probably not wireless, but something MUCH more comfortable).

The keyboard is from Logitech so it is really good and comfortable. I couldn't have asked for a better keyboard! Here's the link to the product on Logitech's site: http://www.logitech.com/en-ca

I also picked up 100' of network cable and a retractable 4' flat ethernet for my travels... but I'm really digging the keyboard! :( I just have to mess around and see if I can get it to work on Linux. Probably won't, but it's worth a try!

[N]F

I dont quite understand the use of wireless keyboards and mouses. Its not like you are going to go 50 feet away to use your mouse. Could you explain what your reason was for buying a wireless mouse or keyboard. I was always curious on the usefullness of wireless keyboards and mouses.

One reason I can think of is the cable mess. Right now I have about 10 cables on my desk, and it's really annoying. Two cables less would be a bless (and it rhymes!). However, if it's a lap top, then I don't really see any use. Unless you hate cables completely :(

Oh yes, the cables behind my computer drive me crazy. If I had some extra money, I would already have a wireless mouse and keyboard. If anything falls behind my desk, I have to search through the cable jungle to find it. I've tried using twist-ties to keep it neater, but still, with all of them hanging there it gets pretty messy. That's why I would buy wireless, not to type away from my desk (though that might be interesting to try).

In a world of wireless communication, why not have some less-wires for your PC?!

Frankly speaking, we never go to play catch in the mess of wires behind the PC, so it should bother you much - you hardly ever see 'em! But nevertheless, I do have a completely (data) wireless PC! No wires except for those of the AC cords for the CPU and the Monitor to the UPS. That's how we argue (me and my dad)...

It looks quite geek, but you actually never look at it!

Wow nice.. i'm looking for a wireless keyboard and my wireless mouse is starting to break, the rubber pads down the bottom are comming off and then it sticks to the mouse pad. The wireless is good because you don't have to have all these messy wires that could block the movement. It also looks better because there is no wires.Only downside is that you need to buy batteries or get rechargable batteries for your keyboard and mouse, then if you havn't got spare batteries you pretty much can't use your computer until you buy them.Overall you should get wireless.-HellFire

Hmm I considered wireless keyboards and mices but never had experience with them since I didn't like the idea of having to use batteries all the time.. How is their responsiveness compared to wired solutions? Also, how long do the batteries last?

I know I've been thinking about getting the logitech wireless combo set with the mx1000 laser mouse. That set looks pretty nice as well, good choice.I know I'd use a wireless keyboard when typing large reports and whatnot to put it in my lap so I can put my feet up and get comfy for the long haul of typing lol. Also I could use either to control my music from across the room rather then having to get up to change songs or volume or whatnot. My main thing is that my mouse cord often gets caught on mysterious things behind my desk, throwing a cramp into my gaming. Wireless removes this problem.There are various reasons for wireless periphs, from cool factor to just no wires to added functionality. IF you can't see yourself ever caring though its probably easier to just save the bucks.

Also, how long do the batteries last?

With this set, it has been known to last 6+ months. The keyboard runs on 2 AAA batteries and I care less about the mouse because it is so uncomfortable!!

I dont quite understand the use of wireless keyboards and mouses. Its not like you are going to go 50 feet away to use your mouse. Could you explain what your reason was for buying a wireless mouse or keyboard. I was always curious on the usefullness of wireless keyboards and mouses.

I got one not just for having one less cable on my desk, but for felxibility. I like to "relax" and put the keyboard in my lap sometimes. The way my desk is, I can't really do that. Sometimes I need to move the keyboard out of the way and because for some reson MS hasn't made PS/2 hot-swappable yet, it's not like I can unplug a regular keyboard, plug it back in and expect it to work.
Also, when I get my new computer, there's going to be enough cables as is... coming out of the one cable hole in the desk I currently have:
-Ethernet for my laptop
-Power cable for my laptop
-Power cable for alarm clock
-Monitor VGA cable for a 15" monitor sitting on the desk next to me (moving once I get new comp)
-Keyboard cable for desk next to me (moving once I get new comp)
-Mouse cable for desk next to me (moving once I get new comp)
-Power cable for desk light

Now here is what it is going to be when I get my new computer:
-Power cable for alarm clock
-2 monitor cables for my monitors plus 2 power cables (dual monitors)
-Power cable for desk light
-Mouse cable for computer (the wireless one is uncomfortable... I'll stick with a wired mouse)
-Receiver for wireless mouse/keyboard

There's just too many cables... working under my desk to plug something in or to unplug or even re-route cable is enough of a hassle since I get the pleasures of having my network server right next to me. I'd use wireless, but wireless signal in my room is worthless and large print jobs tend to get sucked into a black hole somewhere...

The wireless is good because you don't have to have all these messy wires that could block the movement.

Yep, though I'm going to live with an old wired mouse for a while. I like to move my keyboard around so this eliminates that! :(
[N]F
Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

Wireless keyboards and mice are very handy for home entertainement systems. It's nice when you can use a keyboard and mouse while you're relaxing in the sofa.The same goes for a computer in your sleeping room. Browsing music and movies while relaxing in bed sweet :( .