xisto Community
AdityaKar

Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%

Increase your Bandwidth by 20%

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

works on XP Pro, and 2000

other OS not tested

freakin sweet manmy downloads are going a little bit faster but i have noticed HUGE differences on my pings in online multiplayer games like counter strikethanks alot for the info

Wow, wow.... I actually didn't even know about this. Just tried to do this on my ofice system but it wouldn't work since the admin locks out all hardware and software changes, So I'll have to get home and try this out. Printout ready. If what you're talking about actually works, I do believe that it would really speed up the computer's internet connectivity.

I wonder if this is any different from uninstalling the QoS from your network device, since I always uninstall this due to these reasons but am unsure if it has any effects because as I say, I've always done it and never ran the network with QoS so I have nothing to compare, so if someone could verify this (I would do it myself but I am rarely on Windows) is a similar technique rather than altering the registry I'd be glad to know.Cheers,MC

I wonder if this is any different from uninstalling the QoS from your network device, since I always uninstall this due to these reasons but am unsure if it has any effects because as I say, I've always done it and never ran the network with QoS so I have nothing to compare, so if someone could verify this (I would do it myself but I am rarely on Windows) is a similar technique rather than altering the registry I'd be glad to know.
Cheers,

MC

Kool thanks for the input i never knew that cool thanks.

Anyone have a way to enable it for home? Somehow I don't think it should be that difficult....I don't quite want to shell out for xp pro with vista around the corner.

My understanding is that group policy editor and others just edit the registry, so essentially this is same as changing the registry. So you should be able to do this with home edition as well.Unfortunately I can't give any pointers since the only windows I have administrative access is 2000 pro. It has group policy editor but no options of QoS. I assume Win2000 doesn't have such functionality.

Wow thanks a heap for this information. I'm really glad that I logged onto Xisto today because now I know about this cool little trick!I've heard people saying something about this before but I always assumed it would be one of those things that was just way too complication and took hours of tweaking to even work out how to do.Thankyou so much! This was so easy to do!

Wow thanks.. it looks like this is the reason i'm loosing a few kilobits a second according to the rated speed, or at least it will bring the speed up a bit, only thing is, i only have about 600mb on my download limit that's meant to last me another 12 days, can't wait so I can see the full potential of my connection.I think there is a setting in the registry or some other place to disable this because you can just disable the packet scheduler in your network connections, that worked a bit for me and it might help the users that aren't on windows xp.Hope that helped, -HellFire