xisto Community
evion

Photosmart Printer Installs Automatically As "Unknown Device"

I've just bought a new computer that comes with a hp photosmart 2575 all in one printer. Today, i tried to install it but I didn't follow the instructions at the beginning which was not to plug the USB cable in till the setup asks you to do so.

Windows XP (Media Center Edition) then detects the USB device and installs and names in "Unknown Device".

I tried updating the device in Device Manager but that didn't work. I uninstalled the USB device from device manager and follow the steps in the instructions but that didn't work. I downloaded the latest driver for the Photosmart and tried installing it and it didn't work again. I googled the problem and found this site but it still didn't work. Lastly, i did a system restore to a day before all this happened and it still didn't work.

What's the problem here? I run a HP Pavilion m7480n, Intel Viiv computer with 3Ghz processor speed and 2gigs of RAM. It is also using Service Pack 2 and is fairly new, probably a few months old.

I know i don't get much good responses here but i have to take my chances. My mom wants it fixed tommorow and I can't do anything about it. After reading articles in the web, it seems my only solution is to reinstall Windows, which is the last thing i want to do with this computer.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

i tried to install it but I didn't follow the instructions at the beginning which was not to plug the USB cable

You have to go to the hardware manager (something like right click on "my computer", then "material", then "hardware manager", see your "unknown device", and delete it.Then unplug your printer, and restart your installation as stated without plugging the cable. Then, everything should finish correctly.
Hope this helped
Yordan

I un-installed Hp Deskjet F370 and related software from my desktop sometimes back. Now when I am trying to re-install them I get "HP installer option plug-in has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. The installation CD works fine on my laptop. Please help!