xisto Community
Jackel

Best Way Of Learning A Scripting Language?

I was going to wonder what is the best way to learn a scripting language. I mean there are tons of different ways including buying Books on internet of that langauge. You can also take tech classes,or even internet classes, or best way to just learn by yourlself? Ive been messing alot lately with Macromedia MX director. Ive been learning its scripting language called Lingo, but ive just been learning from messing with source codes and server scripts. Is the best way trial and error and repeat?

I have been playing around learning some PHP scripting and I have downloaded an xampp package to allow me to write the code and test it locally on my machine. Plus reading some books and findng scripts on the Net works if you take the time to analyze them rather than just cut and paste.

The ability to test code locally is very valuable when you first start. I recommend having a home server that you can test and mess around with. You have no bandwidth controls and you can have total control over your settings. As far as actually learning to script, the best way would be to actually do it. Try and write something. Even if you don't succeed that doesn't mean you didn't learn anything. Just keep trying and looking up areas where you get stuck. It'll come to you. Maybe read through a few primers/tutorials and have a few reference books on hand.-Good luck

I think the best way would be to make something yourself with the code. To get the basics of that language, read some tutorials with example projects and follow along. Once you've learned enough to write simple codes on your own, think of a little utility application that you can write using that language. Than start coding it. When you come to something you don't know, you can look it up online. All the debugging and problem-solving will make it easier to remember the language. Plus, it's much more fun than reading a whole book and doing nothing.

I would say, the really best way is to startup with a teacher, who shows you theory, then makes you do some exercices. Then, you have to train yourself on real cases, first modifying existing programs, then writing down your own ones.

The way I like to learn new languages, scripts is to have the most fun when doing it. Usually, I need to do things fast (who doesn't ), so sitting and reading a book might not be the best way for me, since my mind wonders off sometimes. What works for me is doing a basic tutorial (there are number or those on the web, e.g. w3schools have nice ones). From there I can start delving into the code. Its best if there is something specific to do - some task that needs to be accomplished in the new language. Right now, I am learning PHP that way. I found that using blog templates, which are written in PHP and modifying them does the trick.

Having a teacher at the start REALLY helps and gets you going quickly. Website tutorials help and forums let you get past hurldles.But one other good thing is having other friends that are enthusiastic in this and this will help with support.Also, non-jargon books (complicated words without the book explaining them) is a real bonus!Compuccino

Edited by Compuccino (see edit history)

how to i learn with goodly/perfectly?Best Way Of Learning A Scripting Language?

How to we learn with goodly/perfectly?

First you have find the best way of learning, you must think that how you read with freely & after that you must launch your good style of reading.

After somedays you realize that your have improving your learning style, so do as well as this activities

if not you may ask me another question as you like?

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif

-reply by Deepak Timalsina