xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Seagate To Laungh 750GB Drive !!

:) Wow, that's a lot of space. I don't think I would need that much space, ever. That's about ten times my present amount of storage space. It would be really useful for businesses I guess, what with all the documents they need to store.

:P Does anyone even have 10,000 audio CDs?

But with the new technology that is being invented everyday, 750GB hard disks could become a necessity. ;) Also, nice find Roggle, I loved the flash -- very amusing. :P

Edited by aimeemayonnaise (see edit history)

Contradicting my last post, it seems now that 750GB will be fit enough for the future.Considering HDTV and easier film editing this will be a big leap in average file space.The animation that roggle posted about (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) is very wierd and addictive, but it explains what perpendicular hard drives are!Compuccino

Does anyone even have 10,000 audio CDs?

Probably not. But if you had 100 DVD movies, would you like to save them ? Probably yes. And then you would need such a huge hard disk to store your 100 DVD movies.

Jesus Christ! 750 gigabytes? That is absolutely insane. Imagine how much crap I could fill up with that much space! I reckon it'd be an awesome investment as there is no way on earth you would need to upgrade for a long long time.I'd even think about investing in one just so I can say - I have 750 gigabytes! God how awesome would it be to just not have to worry about disc space.I want one! Now!!

I've got a question about these insanely great hard drives. I have a 300GB as my largest single drive. Now I have a dual fan cooler screwed onto the drive to keep the temperature from going past 55 C. Now obviously it's not good and shortens the lifespan of the drive when it's so hot, but i can't figure out how else to work it when i'm doing heavy duty video editing off the drive. Wouldn't a 750 GB drive be much hotter than a 300 GB one? and if so, how would you keep it at a reasonable level? It would be a shame to spend that much cash only to have it overheat in a couple months time.

Wouldn't a 750 GB drive be much hotter than a 300 GB one?

I suppose that the 300 GB drive gets hot because you use it (spinning, and the actuator going forth and back in order to retrieve your data).I don't really think a 750 GB will heat a lot more : you will not use longer your bigger disk, you will do the same job during the same time, simply you will erase the unused data less frequently.

Yeah, but if i'm working with a DV file that's say 150 GB, that's constant use on the drive. and at elast for me i've found that no matter how much i use them, the 80 GB drives run cooler than the 300 GB one. Simply a coincidence?

Well, I just know that I won't be using that kind of a hard drive for a long time... I'm good with 2 x 40 gigabyte harddrives right now :PHehehe I wonder how much those drives cost though. Maybe ... at least ten thousand dollars, should I say? No no... safe to say five thousand :D

While I could use a nice external drive for storage, I try to keep any editing projects on a main harddrive. Now when I do get around to getting an external I don't think I would ever need a full 750 gigabytes, it just seems gluttonous. What would you do if you were to lose all the data on that monster. Ouch.

What would you do if you were to lose all the data on that monster

If you use this disk as a live backup, no problem if you loose the backup while the original data are still available. Of course, if you loose both the original data and the backup, you step into big trouble.

Grafitti mentioned something along the lines I was thinking. I know people are saying back up stuff, but thats an awful lot of 'stuff' to be backing up. With a HDD that huge, they would have to make some modification to the computer I would think. I know my fathers computer just overheated for lack of cooling. What would a mammoth like 750 gig HDD do to a machine? I can see something like this, at least for now, being used for business. Maybe someday, in the future, this will become available for home markets, but I wouldnt be getting one, though it would be nice :D