xisto Community
BAH_Sniper

Anyone Use The GIMP? Need To Discuss

Well, I am using Gimp as my main Graphics editing program, because I can't afford to buy Photoshop, but I got used to Gimp, and it is quite enough for me, I am no graphics designer, but use it for my personal things and I know that Photoshop can do much more. So what kind of discussion you want using Gimp ? You have any problems ? if you search google, you will definitely find a lot of tutorials. I mean, practice, that is what you need and by the way, Gimp is not only able to edit photos. :P

I use Gimp. It took a little time to get used to the layout, but once I played around a little I was able to do the few, piddling little things I do with editing software (mostly touching up digital photos). I'm not a graphics designer/artist/etc., so I don't really get into advanced features and the like.

Yup... I've been using GIMP for well over 2 years now, and it quite meets most graphics, minimilistic animation and photo editing requirements. It also supports most formats native to Photoshop and CorelDraw (amongst a massive bunch of others, like you can import and work on PSD, EPS etc..).

If you really wnat to get some indepth knowhow on how to best utilize GIMP, I'd suggest you download and install GIMP Help files (from here), and refer to it every time you want to try out something now, or even use it as a tutorial so that you learn from it.

GIMP supports most of it's functions through right click, so if you've say selected some area and you want to give that section a video look, the distorts will be available for the selection throgh your right mouse button.

Also, GIMP is great fro creating grally good GIFs. You can do this by adding layers, where each layer is a new screen/frame. You'd save this as a GIF, input parameters like length of the animation as well as the speed at which the frames develop (large number of frames with very little changes between them will give you a smooth looking animation if you're changing between frames within a very short time frame (the human eye can discern between 17 and 25 frames per second to interpret as motion). Of course to use a whole bunch of frames results in large GIFs.

Other than this there's an animation package that may be of a bit of use to animation starters, although I have come across online references stating that it's best to use a dedicated animation package.

PM me if you've any problems with GIMP and we'll try and sort it out.

If it wasn''t for a couple plug ins I need for work that are photoshop only, I could easily get by with just GIMP. For somethings, I think GIMP has more features than Photoshop. So I use both.

GIMP?Well, I just installed it a couple of weeks back, and skimmed through the software. Long back I was using Corel Photopaint for all my image manipulation and creation needs, but then the need itself seemed to cease to exist. I stopped digital painting after that, and I do not even know where that piece of software went from my PC. I do though remember using the trial version of Paint Shop Pro from JASC, but even that went down the memory lane.Later, any small requirement I used to get, I managed with MS Paint. (I know, that is stupid, but :shrug:).Anyway, GIMP has all the essentials that are required for some decent image manipulation and creation. It has got layers, brushes, and manipulators (burn, dodge, smudge). Its line tool is something that I feel requires more work, but may be that I still need to get used to it.

i like gimp because i do alot of abstract stuff and it's just easier for that. however it does not have blending options, liquify (and many oothere filters like chrome). so i us gimp and if i want to do finishing touches i use photoshop. and the bruches aren't as good as in photoshop. u have a few things with brushes but in photoshop you can make brushes from pictures and lots more.

I use GIMP but very rarely since it clutters my desktop which gets very annoying.GIMP is a very good graphics manipulating programe and is also good for users without the requirements of Photoshop.

Edited by Aisha (see edit history)

Yay! More The GIMP users. xD Sorry; it's just that I don't come across people who use this program often. At school, everyone answers with a confused look and "What's that?"Ever since I've started graphics design/editing, I've used The GIMP, because I can't afford Photoshop, being an unemployed high school student and all. The GIMP has a few bugs in it (one of the main ones I encounter is this weird rectangle thing that zooms up from one corner to another every once in a while if you work with the program for an extended period of time), but otherwise, it's a good free alternative. What you can do in Photoshop you can usually do with The GIMP too, but maybe with a few extra steps. It's definitely worth checking out.Serena