xisto Community
sandeep1405241520

Meebo: Yahoo Messenger Alternative one query too

hi all,
There is an alternative of yahoo messenger available on internet. Its a website. They transfer data from port number 80.
If your network administrator has blocked yahoo messenger then you can chat with your friends through this website. The only disadvantage is that you can't do voice chat or more advanced things you do in messenger. The website is:

http://www35.meebo.com

Its still in alpha stage. But it can also log in to MSN, AOL, GTalk.
I have one query regarding this website. What does www35 mean? I have searched on google but i couldn't find anything relevant.
Kindly do tell me what that means?

Regards.

I have one query regarding this website. What does www35 mean? I have searched on google but i couldn't find anything relevant.

Kindly do tell me what that means?

Regards.

Here you go --> What Is 'www1'?. Read this thread.. Here I've discussed in quite a bit of details how the whole www1...wwwX concept works. Go through all the posts in that thread and it'll help you clear up the cloud :P

There is an alternative of yahoo messenger available on internet. Its a website. They transfer data from port number 80. The only disadvantage is that you can't do voice chat or more advanced things you do in messenger.

Thanks for that website sandeep, but to tell you the truth, I don't use Yahoo! Messenger at all or online web messengers either! The trouble with online web messengers is basically all reasons you gave above and the fact that they are much slower than instant messengers becauce they keep stopping and loading. I use MSN messenger all the time at home but at school it's blocked just like every other .exe file, so me and my friends use MSN Web Messenger as a substitute. In that experience, I've found that using these online web messengers is such a hassle and it's too slow and unpleasant that you might as well not use them at all. I'm sure this is the same with this online Yahoo! messenger as well, especially if it's on the 35th server.
But if you take my advice, I'd use MSN Messenger instead of Yahoo! Messenger. The reason beings are; first of all the template of the MSN one is much more soothing to the eye and the layout if much simpler. Second of all, there are many other programs that will intergrate with the MSN messenger such as MSG Plus and others. These allow an extension of great features to the messengers already massive amount. Third of all, (and this is just my opinion) the Hotmail e-mail client is easier to use than the Yahoo! mail, despite the lack of available space. I hope you'll agree with me?

Here you go --> What Is 'www1'?. Read this thread.. Here I've discussed in quite a bit of details how the whole www1...wwwX concept works. Go through all the posts in that thread and it'll help you clear up the cloud :P

Thanks alot for that miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG, I've been wondering what those numbers meant and at first I actually thought it was some upgraded domain names! But surely, the more servers been used, the more bandwidth, space, etc is being taken up on the domain? ;)

If meebo is the one I'm thinking of, then it's pretty decent indeed as far as online messengers go. I can't stand alot of those sites but I think meebo was pretty good. I'd check if it's the one I'm thinking of but meebo is blocked by the firewall here at work :P

meebo is excellent for the road warrior who might not have access to his/her own machine ata point in time. With the new registration system, one meebo username/pwd will login to all four services at once, saving on typing time.

As regards to IM clients, I prefer using GAIM or the immensely customizable Miranda IM. Both of which are free and OpenSource and can be made "pleasing to the eye", albeit with a little effort on the part of the end user to install themes / icons / sounds / plugins that will make the IM experiece just so.

With the new Windows Live Messenger (v8 BETA), MSN networks now support offline messaging Ă  la Yahoo / ICQ. Just hope GTalk also gets on the bandwagon.

Edited by sparx (see edit history)

i personally find meboo.com as a good alternative for when i am at school, or whenever i don't have the time to download yahoo messenger on a computer... it is not that slow, and sometimes it works faster that the original yahoo program, but you lack a lot of facilities...

ebuddy and meebo both are not good for video chat. Atleast i didnt found them usable because it is quite hard to set it up for low speed internet connection. Even for fast internet connection i doubt if it is any good.Yahoo messenger is now in gwibber and pidgin so it is possible to use it within ubuntu or any other linux distro. Web based messengers show lot of ads and they often disconnect themselves, so that is why i rarely rely on them.