xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AdityaKar

Which Is The Smallest Game Imaginable? .kkrieger

Ok when I say small I mean in size and not the duration of the game and here I'm not talking about old 2D DOS based game either. So tell me what do you think would be the minimum size of a 3D game with high quality detailed graphics, dynamic lighting, texture filtering, bump-mapping, etc., in short almost equivalent graphics to DOOM3! Atleast few hundred MBs you would guess, right?

Now read this: .kkrieger is a game with graphics equivalent to any new generation 3D shooter, yet with a size of only 96KB! Yes thats right, its KB not MB! :lol:

Though it comes with a catch, the official requirements are:

A 1.5GHz pentium 3 / athlon or faster.

512MB of RAM.

A GeForce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.

Sound Card

DirectX 9.0b.

Which might seem absurd considering the size of the game, but thats the truth. Thought the game ran fine on my PC with 256MB RAM. But it took a hell lot of time to load.

And don't worry its not a prank or malicious program, I tried it out myself. Here's a screenshot taken on my PC:

Posted Image

The size of the screen shot is actual larger than the size of the game itself!! :lol:

Try it for yourself: Find out more Here

First thing that came to my mind when I read your post is "No way!". Then, I assumed that if it is said at Xisto, it must be moderatly reliabel information, and then I started to wonder, how they got all that packed in one 96k file. Gazing at the screen shot, it struck me that they might be generating the textures and geometry during the loading phase and then using it in the game. I think that is why it took 'hell lot of time to load'.

I did a bit of scanning around at the link you provided and I think that is what they are doing:

come on, not everything I see is in that small file, you use DirectX standard textures, right? there's no such thing as DirectX standard textures. everything you see in .kkrieger is procedurally generated at the beginning, in the "loading" Phase. there are neither stored images nor stored geometry in the executable file, everything you see is generated procedurally (the one exception being the menu/HUD fonts, which are generated from standard Windows fonts). if you are interested in the details, refer to our technology section.

Check out their FAQ page for more info.

This is quite fun, I didn't try the game itself, I think it would not run on my system, because I use quite an old graphics cards, due to I am not gamer. But really, to create a 96kb game is exciting, I remember the old "demos" on my Amiga, which were 4kb or 64kb and showed really a lot of graphics+music and always wondered how did those hardcore dudes did it, it is still a mystery for me, but programming is cool! Usually when I compile something, the size of even small code is quite large, to large. :lol:

more small games

Which Is The Smallest Game Imaginable?

You should have more than the small pacman game.

-reply by mz alon