xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jake658879

DivX Very good movie player, maybe best

Divx player plays almost all types of movie files including .avi. It plays them much better than a normal player like winamp, or windows media player. The sound is also significantly better. You can burn DVDs and I think you can use it to make DVDs with "code" but I don't use that part so I'm not sure. In my opinion it's the best vidio player out there right now. Here is where it's at. http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx

Is the player actually better?... never really paid attention to it. I always just grabbed it for the included codecs and the odd movie that is glitchy on other players. Anyone else notice it being noticeably better then mp?

vlcplayer is the best , works on almost any OS and is so dam easy to use.. no need to install any thing ..just copy the folder. You can easily watch stuff from it on systems which dont have any decent media player (with codecs ) installed.and it uses my new fav GUI toolkit ie wxWidgets :o

hmm, I think I have vlc player too. Use it for files that I get in some format or another that the other progs can't handle... not that I get retail movies in such odd formats...but...my uh..."friends"...encode...uh..."home movies"... in that weird format... yupp..But yea it's a solid player but I've noticed some weird results with it. Nothing directly affecting the movie watching experience, but just sort of oddities in the program. The time codes being wrong is the one I noticed the most, where an hour and a half or longer movie read as being like 30 some minutes... doesn't really affect anything but annoying.I never really put much thought into my media player choice... I'll have to look into this when I'm home :|

DivX player? I didn't even know that that player was meant to be used :o.

I always use MPlayer for windows. Plays everything without even requiring DivX codecs to be installed on your system. And it's very much lighter than Windows Media Player. I think the only thing it doesn't play is RealMedia, but in Linux, it plays that as well.

It also plays Quicktime without any troubles.

Here's the Link: MPlayer

Haha I never even thought to see if mplayer had a windows version :| I've used it in various linux distro's since I started linuxing but never thought to try it out for windows. I guess I *dont* need to look for a new media player, just move my current between platforms heh

Then, you'll like this. It plays everything ... and works just as well as it does in Linux. Try it out.

I never really liked DivX I tried it and after some time I just uninstalled it.. Now I only am using VLC Media Player together with MPlayer, but sometimes on Windows I play some files with Winamp, especially the ones taken from Digital Cameras, because sometimes VLC does not play them, but I never got into it.But for sometime now I don't watch movies so often as I used to, so I rarely use them now.. I never really used Windows Media Player, it just get on my nerves, I don't like it.. For some time I have been using on Windows QMP, Quintessential Media Player, but I had some problems with it, after a while it just did not load my playlist and could not start, so everytime I needed to reinstall it, I got pissed off and installed Winamp, because didn't really find another music player I liked. But now I got used to WinAmp, the main thing it has audioscrobbler plugin. :o

VLC is my choice. It playes almost any thing lol. I mean, If a video file is curropt or has bad pieces, any other player hangs and stops in between, like Media player. But VLC just plays any file regardless of how many errors there are. If VLC dosent play a specific file means that the codec for that file isnt installed. You could always use codec packs or if its the case with DigiCam videos, then you can try installing the software provided, as in a video editor or something provided with the CD. and then play it on VCL, it works just fine.RegardsDhanesh.