xisto Community
marretas

London Gets 2GB / Second Internet

I've got a 3mbps connection but the upload rate is pethetic (35K). I've got the fastest DSL for residential property my phone company offers! :o It's not bad and I like it! I usually run 2mbps though, but I've hit OVER 3mbps sometimes, but it is just a spike and doesn't last long but it is still enjoyable...I remember when I still had AOL. I'd download at like 1K. Now on my DSL connection, I can download at 320K normally! wooo! lol[N]F

I have no idea what the heck my upload/download rate is from my ISP, I find it is usually more restricted by the other computer than by mine or my isp. Also, I have no idea what my bandwidth id, but suffice it to say there have beens everal months where I have downlaoded all four isos for Fedora Cores at least 10 times, so it's safe to say I have, for my purposes, unlimited. Can't wait till college, my college has a gigabit uplink to the net, imageine how fast that's gonna turn out to be considering all of the factors outside campus to slow it down :o~Viz

I have no idea what the heck my upload/download rate is from my ISP, I find it is usually more restricted by the other computer than by mine or my isp. Also, I have no idea what my bandwidth id, but suffice it to say there have beens everal months where I have downlaoded all four isos for Fedora Cores at least 10 times, so it's safe to say I have, for my purposes, unlimited. Can't wait till college, my college has a gigabit uplink to the net, imageine how fast that's gonna turn out to be considering all of the factors outside campus to slow it down :lol:
~Viz

How much cost for those width in Your Country anyway, in my country (Indonesia) was very very expensive, I guess, for the only 500 MB download+upload (monthly) would cost 200.000 Rupiahs or for 21 US$
The unlimited would be 220 US$ per month.
And it's still be monopolizied by a company....

STill sad by the cost

Well looking at the trends of manufacturing fiber optics - especially those with a very high degree of clarity is increadibly cheap now a days .. read this.. It's the diogital to optical converters that currently pose problems of speed of processing power and also the cost of manufacture. The world in general is still burdened by the physical limitations of chips being able to perform at a limited rate.

Light of course is the fastest physical medium in which to transmit data.. however as long as the encoding and decoding pachines at each end are limited by their physical processing power, the use of fiber optics and even light through vaccum will be limited by the sending and receiving medium's processing ability.

This is one of the reasons why there's a huge thrust towards quantum computing and computers. This will bring about the ability to undertake the processing that would enable truely high speed processing to enable encoding and translation to and between digital and optical data. I'm talking at over 100's of terabits/sec kind of stuff.

It sounds nice in theory but put in practice, is it even necessary for a home user? It's always nice to have more then we need but the faster we can download and or upload the more bandwidth we'll need.I'm on an ADSL (because Telstra here in Australia are cheap and won't install the ncessary cable ines) 512/128kbps and I can smash the 10gb bandwidth limit (that includes down and up) in a few days without effort.Even after the 64kbps capping I can hit 50gb bandwidth usage in a month..... downloading lots of linux distributions and updating site content etc.Still it would be fun to play with wouldn't it?

wow, that's amazing, I only get 3MBPS @ my place, but the fastest is 5-6 MBPS in Canada offered for residential.My new download speed since my ISP recently upgraded is now: 500kbps-600kbps off servers in Canada/USA. Back then, it was 300 KBPS on the same servers. Sometimes, you gotta love cable internet.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

My wife parents live in Tokyo and, when we go there to visit them, I always get frustation. They have a 50Mb DSL connection (simmetric), without any upload/download month limit, at only 25EURO (3500 yen) month.I live in Spain and here I had to pay 42EURO/month for a ridiculous ADSL of 1Mb/300Kb.

Darn, now I'm jealous, I just got 256k internet.. But 2 GB/s isn't really useful when 4 MBPS would take the same time loading most websites. Unless you want to download files, that is. :P You won't belive how pathetic my internet connection is.. it keeps timing out my downloads and making me angry with its so called "high speed internet" ;)