xisto Community
Vyoma

Any Comments On My New Forum Banner Design ? New design

Hi fellas!

I just made a new banner for my roleplaying forum:

Posted Image

I had designed it based on a simplistic design rule I had layed down for my forum skin. (See my blog-post for more details - Link)

What do you think about it?

If simplistic is the way you were going you certainly achieved it :oHeh no i like the font style and the tree seems to give the feel of nightmare before christmas or the corpse bride look. Goodl luck with ur role playing game.

If simplistic is the way you were going you certainly achieved it :oHeh no i like the font style and the tree seems to give the feel of nightmare before christmas or the corpse bride look. Goodl luck with ur role playing game.

Agreed. It looks nice, but also a little unfinished. I definately like the font and tree, they have a nice Tim Burton feel to them. But I wouldn't mind a little something more filling in all that white space. Definately a good start!

If simplistic is the way you were going you certainly achieved it :PHeh no i like the font style and the tree seems to give the feel of nightmare before christmas or the corpse bride look. Goodl luck with ur role playing game.

Thank you. :o

Agreed. It looks nice, but also a little unfinished. I definately like the font and tree, they have a nice Tim Burton feel to them. But I wouldn't mind a little something more filling in all that white space. Definately a good start!

Yes, I have started it of with a simplistic view. Reason? Well, the Chaos And Order realm is itself empty. The banner would grow in detail, as the realm itself is fleshed out in detail by the members who would roleplay there. That is kind of our (my co-admin and me) purpose - to let the players themself build the world they want to roleplay in, and we as Game Masters would be just supplying with guidelines and ..., what should I say, raw materials? Well, you get the point, I hope.

So, like may be after good six or eight months of pretty decent roleplay, if someone else happens to look at the banner again, it would have got another layer or something like that. Ha! Now, I get an idea. We can also go the Google way - putting banners that are themed for popular holidays and occassions. (But, I think Google people promote ocassions that are not that mainstream).

Anyway, thank you both of you for the comments.

Your signature has a drawing or a text.If you put both, they should seem to have something to do together.And I don't really see how the tree in the drawing is related to order or to chaos ? The tree seems to have experienced a huge wind, which could refer to chaos, but then I don't see how the order is concerned.Of course, this is only a philosophical point of view, but my father always told me "express the things as simply as possible". If a text is needed, put the text. If the drawing is enough, only put the drawing. If the text does not help understandig the drawing, remove the text.Nevertheless, it's a nice drawing, and your text is nicely written.

Your signature has a drawing or a text.If you put both, they should seem to have something to do together.
And I don't really see how the tree in the drawing is related to order or to chaos ? The tree seems to have experienced a huge wind, which could refer to chaos, but then I don't see how the order is concerned.
Of course, this is only a philosophical point of view, but my father always told me "express the things as simply as possible". If a text is needed, put the text. If the drawing is enough, only put the drawing. If the text does not help understandig the drawing, remove the text.
Nevertheless, it's a nice drawing, and your text is nicely written.

yordan, it is not a signature, but a banner I made for a RPG forum. :P

And, wow! For that philosophical analysis you did on the banner. I did not put that much of thought into it when I drew it. Chaos And Order, happen to be personified super-entities in that roleplaying realm. The place where the players (forum-members) played, happenes to be mostly un-touched terrain. I just wanted to give it a fantasy-feel.

Again, thanks for that analysis you did. I surely will look into that when I do the next version of the banner. At present, though, I just cannot figure it out how I am going to incorparate what you said into a banner design. :o

Its ok for what you were aiming for, but could be better in my opinion. Think about what you will be making it for and include images to link to that idea. perhaps imagine what would look good and do just that. Also how did you do the banner, did you use some digital software or something else?

Chaos And Order, happen to be personified super-entities

You know what ? I already know some things about Chaos and Order, two opposite entities. However,the question was about the banner, so I simply commented the banner, and the way a text could match a drawing.

font is cool. Hmnnn Maybe there is something more for the tree. Try to smoothen the edges of the tree, it looks kind of jagged and also, why don't you try adding up some curls on the tree just like the curls on the fonts. So the curls would look like smaller branches or twigs whichever you want to call them. And i think It would be fine. Try to create some more samples of banners, experiments with the designs and fonts and ask people again to criticize your work. I know you will end up with something more, not awesome, but maybe something more cool. Keep up the good more man.

Its ok for what you were aiming for, but could be better in my opinion. Think about what you will be making it for and include images to link to that idea. perhaps imagine what would look good and do just that. Also how did you do the banner, did you use some digital software or something else?

Well I used, MSPaint to do the banner.

And kuyakurt, I think I will do more version on it. [Hope I get enough time though!]

Personally I kind of like it now that I read your explanation... seems like a cool idea. Starting off with a really plain basic banner and fleshing it out as the RPG grows. On it's own it's kinda lacking but if you plan to have it grow, that's cool.My only gripe about it would be the bottom of the tree... something about it I can't put my finger on bugs me a bit. I don't think I like it expanding out and then the blue circle, almost would prefer having it just disappear off the side... but that's just me :o

I am of the opnion that banner should be as thin as possible. It is easier to read a page with thin or no banner.

Big white space below title is begging "Subtitle!". =pPretty nice work using paint! Tough I think you should smooth it a little using an 1px dark gray pencil next to the 'curves' or 'diagonal' parts of the tree, making it no so jaggy. And man, if you can do this with Paint Brush, you can do wonders on Photoshop or Illustrator. Give them a try!

I would have given Photoshop or Illustrator a try if they were not so costly products. I have now shifted to using Gimp, and I pretty much like it.

Now, though, this forum banner is not new anymore, and is of not much use because I have shut down the forum few weeks back.