xisto Community
StClingin

Google Has Released Packs With Antivirus Programs

Howdy,

I am pleased to announce that Google has finally added a few anti-spyware and anti-virus scanners to their official Google Package. These scanners are: Lavasoft Adaware SE Edition, Norton Antivirus 2005 SE Edition.

To me this is very good, as the Norton antivirus package would cost around $250.00, but not anymore, with Google, its FREE!

I guess I sould like a salesman B)

Trust me here, this is for your computer's protection, not my wealth.

This can be found here: (https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=eUUsVMSaJsqH8QeZ-4HQBg&gws_rd=ssl)

The package also includes a few of their own programs, and some seperate programs that have been added to the package. You can check in/out what you want to download, when you click the download button.

Steven

Hmm you are right definitely an old salesmen ploy B) but seems to be the trend lately as with pentium and skype offering more user meetings if you use the pentium chips.On the other hand ..hey a free antivirus worth 250 that comes with programs you enjoy in the google package so i guess its a good deal because everyone is moving to Nod so Symantec should be pleased ;)Heheh Nod32 best of the best !!

Whoa, thanks for the link. I knew google had something like that, but thats alot, most of which I use. Trillian is alright, but I preffer to use meebo (meebo.com) since its browser based and supports many things. Then again, the pack has Norton and Real player, which I think sucks. I have my own reasons for hating Real, but Symantec is to slow. I would still recomend downloading it if your a newbie.

The Norton AV packaged is available free for only a limited time period as I'm led to believe. (there was an earlier post on this which I can't seemt o be able to locate). But Adaware is a good prog. It scans pretty thoroughly. The thing is that Google has a whole bunch of stuff that's just right for Windows but very little else for other platforms (yes they have a great deal for MAC too). In Google's quest to provide their users with free to use SW and internet utilities, they should come out with a comprehensive platform that encompassess OS, multimedia, gaming, business, communication and internet. Even if everything on the desktop has a dedicated section for textual advertising, I do believe that people would relish the thought of not having to pay for any of the OS on the machine. But the quality has just got to be better than Win, a whole bunch more controllable than MAC and eons ahead in user friendlyness than most Linux platforms. All this bundled in with internet business and other tools would make Google king of the road.. (and I do hope there are a few other competetors to keep Google at bay AND to make sure every platform has a high evolution curve).

Yes, the earlier post was of m^e who brough this to our attention at the very first release. But Keeping NAV with google kinda seems a bit confusing. Does google have plans to hand-shake with Symantec ? If yes then i guess the old rumour of Google Antivirus isnt going to be true. Well anyways whatever is the case, google is becoming the primary element in our lives, not in a sercastic way but in a good one. B)RegardsDhanesh.

I personally don't like packs. Firstly, because I like to get the software individually and load all of the custom options, and secondly because there is never a full package that works for me.

If I were to release a pack it would contain:

Google Earth

Google Talk

Picasa

Mozilla Firefox

McAfee VirusScan

ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm

Adobe Acrobat Reader 7

Norton screws with your computer and Ad-Aware has always intefeared with our Outlook Express.

But, seeing as though you can choose what is in the pack and what is not, then it's kind of cool.

***CHANGD TOPIC TITLE - IT WAS MIS-LEADING BEFORE***

nice find.but i think its time google come out with its own OS ..there was a chatter of Google Ubuntu..I hope there is some truth to it.

Meh. This thread title's misleading. At first I thought that Google had actually developed their own antivirus program, but then I find out that they just bundled some existing software with their app packs. XD

Well, bundling such popular security apps as Norton and Adaware is a good business move for Google, when you think about it. For the makers of those two apps as well. Never underestimate the drawing power of a good brand name—I've no doubt that this move will significantly increase revenue for Norton, Lavasoft, and Google alike. Very nice strategy, that. =^^=

I wonder at the inclusion of Norton Antivirus in the Google Pack, though. Given that Google styles it's pack as "a free collection of essential software", I don't think that Norton (which is essentially shareware, not freeware) should be included. Sure, it's a big name among antiviruses, but there are other good free antivirus apps around.

but i think its time google come out with its own OS ..there was a chatter of Google Ubuntu..I hope there is some truth to it.

Muahaha .. GooOS to the rescue ! Dont know the amount of truth that lies in it, but like any other rumour lets enjoy it B)

>> LINK <<

If this has been swimming around the net for a while then i guess the late boys could have a peek to this info.

On the other hand, Seems like Google Office is on the way .. >> LINK << .. Just makes me think about the after effects for M$ when these, dubbed "Small" companies by M$, come up against it as one. Personally if feel that google shouldnt stop ! Keep the ICs burning and let us have more of those cool stuff instore.

Regards

Dhanesh.

Wait... Didn't Google Pack already include Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware from the start? When I posted the first topic (which m^e didn't reply to) about Google Pack, I remember they were part of Google Pack. Did you mean that Google updated these programs to a newer version?

Yes, Norton AV is only for a free trial. techocian pointed this out in his reply.

I've tried anti-virus programs before, but I didn't find them to be useful at all. Are they really able to detect viruses and remove some of them?

Wow thanks a bunch for this. I was wondering when someone would start to do this sort of stuff....$250 anti-virus for free are they on crack lol. No but seriously this is a big help to keeping my pc even cleaner than ever thanks man.

it looks like a pretty useful pack to put onto a new computer that is blank. but seriously missing a few programs if it's gonna be a one stop fix:* firewall - zonealarm* antispyware othe stuff - spybot [adaware is good but spybot has other useful functions]* imaging software - gimp* may as well go the whole way and add openoffice [but there is a google/sun version on the way apparently]* p2p - may be a bit legal difficult but all the same limewire

I would in fact recommend to Google that they also release an OpenGoogle pack which also includes OpenSource software as well as software developed by the Google Labs and their subsidiaries.

To those who would love playing Devil's Advocate, I know that Google products are NOT open source but at least they support the OpenSource Movement, unlike other industry behemoths which trivialise such collaborative and transparent efforts.

organicbmx: OpenSource P2P - Shareaza connects to Gnutella, Gnutella2, eDonkey networks. It can also handle BitTorrent and normal HTTP/FTP downloads.