xisto Community
teartrack_sos

A New FTP Program Called NVU

Nvu is not actully an FTP program. Its a web program that can FTP files you create in the Nvu program to a server, hardly useable as a full FTP program. Its a pretty good program if you use it what its for, i've used it before, its got some cool features and stuff. If you're looking for a real FTP program try here.

Nvu is the opensource continuation of the old Netscape Communicator web editor from days gone by. Currently it's my favourite free WYSIWYG HTML editor for Mac. If you go to my site, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, you'll see the "created with" NVU logo there. The Linspire folks are the ones supporting the project so of course there are Linux & Linspire (formally Lindows OS) ports as well as good ole Windows.

Although on Windows, my favorite editing program is Evrsoft.com's 1st page 2000 and now 1st page 2006, both free.

In windows I use Filezilla FTP program which you can find here: https://filezilla-project.org/ However there are no Mac or Linux ports of the program. I used to use WS_FTP_LE/95, which you can find still online if you google. WS_FTP_LE was actually a great basic FTP client that also allowed you to CHMOD files.

FileZilla FTP is actually a good free FTP client in my opinion, you can also download FileZilla's FTP server and run your own FTP site too if you wanted to.I prefer doing things via SSH now though, but if FTP was the only option, then FileZilla for Windows (which supports SFTP/SCP/SSH) and any ftp client on linux would do, even just the ftp commands is enough for me.Most FTP clients have many features I would not even use, so really it's just a matter of if it does it's job, then that's all I am interested in.Cheers,MC

Mi taste is Filezilla also.I've using it for several years and is one of the best FTP client I have tried.For FTP server, I can recommend GuildFTPd as is easy to configure and performs very well.

Have you guys tried Firefox's FTP plugin. It embeds into the browser and gives good performance. Since I use Firefox, I use the FTP plugin for Firefox. The name of plugin is FireFTP and is available on Firefox's website. It just provides the basic functions and thus does not make Firefox unstable or slow. Moreover, its free. Previously I used to use WS_FTP but now I find FireFTP more attracting as its available in the browser, I use the most.Regards.

Try smartFTP, it's free for home and personal use and it has a bucket load of features.
The new version 2 of the program implements an office 2003 interface style making the program not only easy to use but it makes it look much nicer.

https://www.smartftp.com/

Try it out when you need a good FTP program, it pretty much does everything.
The feature I like the most is the remote file edit feature. It will let you open a file on the server, edit it and when you save it, it will automatically replace the file for you. Very handy

-HellFire