xisto Community
x2crazy4shadyx

AVG Free Great! 2 thumbs up

Download LINK

Grisoft AVG Free Edition is the well-known antivirus protection tool. AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product. Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements). Highlights include automatic update functionality, the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files.

Notice from szupie:
Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Please use quote tags, and please add more of your own comments.

GREAT i use it all the time make sure too update!
Edited by szupie (see edit history)

I've been using free AVG for a while now and its worked great for me. I used to have norton antivirus but didn't like the huge amount of resources it needed to run =p But yea what also goes great with free avg is the free zonealarm. With these 2 you're pretty safe from the net.

ZoneAlarm is designed to protect your DSL- or cable-connected PC from hackers. This program includes four interlocking security services: a firewall, an application control, an Internet lock, and Zones. The firewall controls the door to your computer and allows only traffic you understand and initiate. The application control allows you to decide which applications can and cannot use the Internet. The Internet lock blocks Internet traffic while your computer is unattended or while you're not using the Internet, and it can be activated automatically with your computer's screensaver or after a set period of inactivity. Zones monitor all activity on your computer and alert you when a new application attempts to access the Internet.

Notice from szupie:

Download Zonealarm

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

I hve been using AVG for over 2 years now and the new version is very nice and very competitve in features with other virus protection packages. Also, since installing AVG my system has not fallen prey to any virus activity whereas the systems with Norton and McAfee where I work and are kept full up to date have been the victim of several successful virus infections.

i tried installing it last nite and it said somethink that it did not like my cd writer software i use roxio cd creater says its an old version i got to upgrade it but u have to pay for that can any 1 help me out here plz thanks

crazy - You are supposed to quote stuff that you just copy/paste off a site B) Less make an admin do it for you...But yes avg is an amazing piece of freeware. I used it up until I got ahold of a copy of mcafee and never had any issues while I was running it. TOp grade piece of software.

I disagree with AVG being good. Maybe I guess for being freeware, but I had a ton of viruses found on my machine once norton was put on some trojans. Now after some suggestions I am using AntiVir. I can't afford a paid anti-virus program so I have to use a freeware version and am always on the lookout for something good. I was fooled by the the large definition files of AVG and good things I've heard, but I will not use it again. AntiVir i've heard of though a few people now, but hopefully it won't end up being the same situation.

I've been using AVG now for almost 2 years and I havent' had a virus yet. But another free one that I have found quite good is Avast! A/V. While not as good as AVG, for those of you that don't like Shrek, Avast! is another option.

Friends you guys are absolutely right. AVG FREE rocks. It is the best free antivirus in the market. I run a cyber café and I use windows xp service pack 2. For last one and half year I did not have to format my machines and my machines are still working smoothly. When ever my machines gets effected AVG gets rid of these worms, virus etc. Its real time protection system is very good. I have no complaints against this very product of GRISOFT.

AVG Free is pretty good iv'e used many times in the past, infact it's the only Anti Virus program that I would use if necessary, I don't much like the others and this one being free and very functional is also a good thing.I use tools like Ad-Aware and such but they aren't really labelled as *Anti-Virus*.

I have never really used AVG yet, but I read a lot about it and always hear a lot of different opinions about it, some say it is good, others say it is bad, so I never tried it myself.. I would like to see some statistics made where different software would be tested to find viruses in the system, the time it took and how much it found and etc. Because now I think that most are just saying their opinions here without any actual facts.

Well I feel that AVG is rather slow at scanning but I'm unsure on how it compares with that to other AV's as I don't usually use others. It's fairly simple and clean interface, so it's pretty much straight forward to use, it has a free version that is of course updated often and is fully functional.The keyword being free heh heh.

Download LINK

Notice from szupie:
Copied from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Please use quote tags, and please add more of your own comments.

GREAT i use it all the time make sure too update!
Hey i do have to agree with you there... avg is a very handy, self-updating antivirus creation that takes care of some of my intrusions into my system. Although most would agree I would like to point out that it would be in self-interest for all of you to also maintain run, and operate several different types or means of anti-intrusion software. Generally a good combination of anti-spyware, anti-trojan... or trojan remover, and at least a couple of good, non-conflicting antivirus software.

It is a wild world out there and the ignorant do not prevail on the web... they get eaten alive by
spyware, popups, toolbars and othe sorts of nasties.

The best way to remove a toolbar thats embedded in your system most likely will be a core-dump
and an F-disk command to follow. That is after you've tried all the other sane means of removal.

Now dont go sending me a hundred emails in agreement or disagreement. Just be glad there
are places like this where we can simply air out our beefs with those little cretin nasties you can
contract just from using the world wide web. Also This seems to be helping my typing speed maintenance.

Thanks and have a large day!

Actually the best way to not get any troubling spyware or virus's is to leanr the basics of a PC and not be stupid from that day forth :(It's worked wonders for me or atleast until I allow someone on my PC and then something always seems to go wrong.... but that's why I have a single folder filled with hundreds of free/shareware applications I have collected over the months.

I personally prefer Anti-Vir...http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows. Not as configurable but apparently has pretty good detection rates and is low on system resources.

AVG's definately got what it takes to make a mark on the internet. Personally I'e been using it for the last 4 years or so. Initially there were times when I found that it was a burden on my system, but that was because I was using a system that was low on RAM and had 700 odd Megz of CPU resource. Off late I've been really impressed with AVG since over the last year, although I've received a whole bunch of virus alerts from various sources, my computer's yet to be affected. This i attribute directly to the fact that AVG updates very regularly, and the fact that it runs an automatic complete computer scan on a daily basis. I do believe that the scan runs only while the computer is not being utilized.Yes, Zone Alarm coming along with the software (at least the limited version) is quite a boon. In fact with all the unauthorized access attempts that the product has stopped (and it's in the few thousand) I actually have a good mind to go in for a paid version. But then again, I'm thinking of getting myself a new computer and ill probably get myself any paid software only when I make the machine purchase.If you're using MS Windows and you require a free antivirus, I'd definately reccomend AVG Free.