xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah81

GamePad Recommendations? Looking for a decent USB controller

Hey everyone.

I had a really inexpensive USB video-game controller so that I could play the old GTA games, and some modded games (SNES, NES, and Genesis). But, it being less than seven bucks, it broke. Understandable but very sad.

Now I'm looking for a replacement that would work for basic video games. I don't want a flight stick, or any overly elaborate design. I like what I've read about this Logitech controller but those were all product descriptoins from the maker.

Does anyone use this controller, or something similar? If so, do you have any comments that would help me figure out which one I really want? I've already bought two controllers since that first one broke - I had to return both of them (same model, bought at same store) because the model was a pile of junk (buttons kept sticking). Tired of the hassle, so I'd like to just buy one more, at least for a while.

I just got this one:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I use it for emu-games, and alot more. The only thing I don't like about it is that the pad on it is comletely digital. The last one I had that was simular, it could tell somewhat how hard you pressed, but this one doesn't. but for the price, and considering it can be setup as a 3axis 12but, or 4axis 10but, it's really good.

It comes with a program to map the buttons (and d-pad movements) to key-presses for programs that don't have joystick capability. I use that program for my snes emu. It will work with both the gameport & USB. It comes with an adapter. USB only works with Win98+.

I rarely use my mouse anymore, I have it setup with a program called joymouse, so that it controls my mouse pointer. It replaces so many keystrokes. Imagine a mouse with about 20 buttons. (one button in joymouse is like a shift button). I couldn't imagine going back to have to use the keyboard all the time again for simple window's functions.

I've never had a problem with it, and I use it all the time. I've had it for about 2 months. It's better than the standard 4but gamepad, because it will handle 3D, like snes. And with the 6but for the right thumb, it works great for sega games. I find it's a nice button layout. The only downfall is that unless you use the windows program to map the gamepad to key-presses, it won't work for DOS games. But all in all, I'd say it's an excellent bargain for the price. And it's very comfortable!! :D

-YB

I recommend Sony PlayStaion 2 game pad.It is great, and very good for PSE5.All you need is a PS2 Gamepad and a PS2USBconvertor. it is very easy to use and it works withoutinstalling driver in windows XP.

I recommend Sony PlayStaion 2 game pad.

It is great, and very good for PSE5.

All you need is a PS2 Gamepad and a PS2USB

convertor. it is very easy to use and it works without

installing driver in windows XP.

1064335947[/snapback]

I didn't even think about converting a console controller. Let's see ... if I bought the converter, I could just "borrow" one of my brother's PS2 controllers. Mwahaha.

Wait. He's bigger than I am. And a lot meaner. Maybe I could just go buy the controller too *grins*

The Xbox gamepad is the best. All you need to do is plugin the gamepad into your USB port and walla , you have a cool gamepad.You can buy X-box to USB converters, but i'm cheap - plus I had a USB plug hanging around from a sample of a usb flash drive I was sent.So , i did a little bit of tweaking with my USB plug and connected it to my gamepad and now i have a cost free solution.

Logitech wingman, thats the one i have and still use sometimes. But i've been so used to my keyboard that i've left it in the dust. :D

Unfortunately my Logitech Wingman Extreme seems to have died on me! I`ve had this gamepad for about five years and its served me well.I`m sure that things have moved on but what I like about this gamepad is the "tilt" sensor - you don`t need to touch the pad buttons - just tilt it left and it will sense this and move you left in your game or whatever. Tilt it right and...you get the idea.Anybody know of any current gamepads (preferably cordless) which have this function? I`m told that the Saitek P880 will do this?