xisto Community
Sietze

Gmail: Revelation concerning the policy of Gmail

but why are you so upset about it?

*surprised* I was upset? What made you think that? Did I say something that offended you? If I did, I apologize.

Fact is that not one Moderator/Admin saw this thread so I don't think it's that big deal.

I see. So something is considered a "big deal" only if it it gets caught by an authority. Alright then, glad you made that clear to me. :-)

---

Author Problem 1: Not everyone lives in the US, therefore the acts don't directly apply to usAuthor Problem 2: Hotmail has been reading our messages since like 1997.

Good point you got there. :-)

But, strictly speaking, I can't remember that Hotmail clearly stated in her policy they have the right to view, keep, and freely distribute our messages, like Google does. That's why, even though Hotmail has been accused of many things, it hasn't been accused of such an invasion of privacy.

Hopefully, the staggering audacity Google shows will provoke more people to act, and if that happens, there'll be time to talk about Hotmail, YahooMail and the rest of them.

Until then, be well, xboxrulz. :-)

Thanks for that article Sietze but just like everyone else said; it is against the Xisto TOS to post articles that you haven't written yourself. To avoid being banned then please don't do something like this again.

Aside from this, that article is actually very interesting and it may cause some debate. I've taken part in many topics where people say about how good Google Gmail is because of it's 'immortality', but in the article it makes this seem like a downfall:

It takes three clicks to put a message into the trash, and more effort to delete this message.

This is what I hate about Gmail! Other e-mail systems such as Hotmail and Yahoo, allow it's users to delete a topic straight away. But on Gmail you have to first highlight the message in question, then click the dropdown menu, and finally press 'Send to trash'. I know lots of people who don't like using Gmail because of this.
I know that Gmail recently changed this deleted method to a much more convienient method but i'm not sure that I agree with this spam thing. I don't recall this ever happening to me but if this does happen then Google would be in trouble because they are presenting people with false information.

As for problems 2, 3 and 4. These ones are pretty intense and I very much that Google will fix these immediately or some people like me may stop using Gmail altogether! :D

Now that all of you have pointed out the weirdness surrounding Google, especially their massive GMail account offerings, I have something mildly disturbing to think about for the rest of my weekend.Good thing I only signed up for GMail out of curiosity, and not to use as a primary account.So. I guess I'll end with advice that my Mom gave me about the Internet several years ago: if you want to send information, even just a note to a friend, that you don't ever want anybody else to read, then write a letter, stick it in an envelope, and put it in the mail.

Oh and eat the letters you receive. I just got kicked out by my host family because of a snail mail letter that concerned them, which they found and read. Since then, I decided for a strict digestion policy for all snail mail. OK, Khymnon, now I prove myself wrong, I've got things to hide, but not necessarily from government agencies. Of course I committed petty crimes in my life, and I may also have talked about it, but I hardly believe that "even" in America the FBI would storm my house if I talked about smoking pot or downloading music like once or twice in email.

oh dear. i just sent an email from my gmail to my friend's gmail that could be a bit illegal. oh well.it is interesting though becasue do you really think that terrorists are going to use gmail. i mean gmail in generally a 'elite' only service because of the invites needed. do you really think that someone sent a gmail invite to osama@hotmail.com or whatever. i also doubt that these guys are going to talk in plain language considering that amount of secret service money being poured into preventing these kinds of crime. i think its probabal they will talk in code.as for my emails i dont really have much to hide from the law. and what i have, the law in england dont really care much about.so now im expecting guns at dawn from the MI5 just to set an example :P

Like xboxrulz already pointed out, what the hell? It always confuses my poor, poor dutch brain... What about the rest of the WORLD? The articles are always written, considering the US laws. Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be, not at all, it would get a little confusing, wouldn't it?Also, at least gmail's being transparent (to some degree) about how it deals with it's content. At the time that hotmail was launched, popular and over-used, I think fairly little people were aware of the privacy issue. At least not as much as now, anyway.But anyway, if it's for security measures, my door's damn open. I've got nothing to hide, and am all in favor into halting terrorist activity.In the long run, it's them we have to think for all these big-brother scenarios.

google i don't think is into this to let the goverment to access every users email ,but i feel its is their because they can track each user to give exact target to its advertisers ,as a businessman its the most perfect thing a company can do to make huge profits ,but ast the custome(user) of google ,its open breach of our terms of privacy , but yet its like they have already told you what they are doing with the data they are preserving ,and only when you agree to those terms you are using the data , its like they are stealing your thoughts after asking you and its common people who readily agree to give their thoughts , thats it, we all are wrong not only google.