xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PureHeart

How Can I Delete Old Files In Windows Xp ? HELP

I'm just guessing that you've been at this thing the whole day. Is the present installation that important that you can't lose it? I mean, in my experience with WindowsXP, there are many instances where it's easier to just re-install windows than try to troubleshoot the damn thing. A complete reinstall probably wouldn't take more than 45min and you just need to backup the 'My Documents', the 'Desktop' folders and any other you've got in the root directory.

That's a NTFS Partition. I use the Administrator account (that's the super admin, right?).

1064335066[/snapback]

Well if your drive is formatted in NTFS, then unchecking Simple File Sharing should do the trick. I just tested it by re-enabling it, then disabling it.

Maybe you need to reboot, I recall that when you uncheck it something happens, but I'm not sure what.

You do not need to be a Super Admin, any administrator account would do in Normal Windows.

Sometimes rebooting in Safe Mode and logging into the Administrator account will give you the Security Tab.

If you can figure out how to get this then all you have to do is

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\

Right-click on the User, select Properties, select the Security Tab click advanced click on Owner and Add yourself as the owner of it, remove the other owner.

Then you should be able to remove it.

Cheers,

MC

I'm rebooting back into Linux, that's all I can tell you that should work, but knowing XP... need I say more.

Well if your drive is formatted in NTFS, then unchecking Simple File Sharing should do the trick.  I just tested it by re-enabling it, then disabling it.

Maybe you need to reboot, I recall that when you uncheck it something happens, but I'm not sure what.

You do not need to be a Super Admin, any administrator account would do in Normal Windows.

Sometimes rebooting in Safe Mode and logging into the Administrator account will give you the Security Tab.

If you can figure out how to get this then all you have to do is

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\

Right-click on the User, select Properties, select the Security Tab click advanced click on Owner and Add yourself as the owner of it, remove the other owner.

Then you should be able to remove it.

Cheers,

MC

I'm rebooting back into Linux, that's all I can tell you that should work, but knowing XP... need I say more.

1064335070[/snapback]

Yeah ! I did it. Everything is fine now. Thank you very much.

I've just free ip 15GB on my hard disk.

Can you outline your correct procedure in what did work for you to help others who may also come across this problem?I know I may have said it somewhere in what I wrote, but a more definite answer in what steps you took would help.Cheers,MC

use linux command shell like cygwin

How Can I Delete Old Files In Windows Xp ?

Install cygwin. Use chown command to change the owner of the file to your new username. Then you can delete it afterwards.

-Jason