xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chseng

Which 3D Program Serves You The Best? Select please. Haha =)

Which 3d program serves you the best?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I tried Blender after I got familiar with 3D Studio Max.And I think that was my mistake :/I knew the basics of 3DSM, how to make a low poly model by boxmodeling, unwrapping it ,etc...As you all know 3DSM isn't _that_ cheap I decided to try a free alternative.I knew Blender for a long time but I have never actually done something with it.So I downloaded -> installed -> opened it and yeah, I was a little bit shocked :/I was used to the 3DSM interface -> 4 viewports.Instead of 4 viewports I got 1 with Blender (by default) so after a couple of minutes (>30min) I got my 4 viewports back \o/.Then I messed around with the remaining interface (buttons) and yeah wasn't that fantastic :/In the end I deleted Blender off of my harddisk the same day I installed it :/I think my mistake was that I tried to use blender without reading any tutorials, additionally I was used to the 3DSM interface and missed it.In 3DSM it simply works fine, you click this button and look what happens, the next and so on after a couple of minutes you are to do some very basic models.However this is not the case with Blender, without any tutorials you are literally lost.So my advice is, before you even think of using blender and you allready know another 3D program (regardless what your current skill is in this programm) read a tutrial first.People told me to read tutorials before I download Blender but yeah, I skipped that advice, which was a very big mistake in the long run :/So if you're going to use Blender, read some tutorials first it's not a shame :)You will only benefit :)However if you don't want to render your stuff and simply want to make models for your game, I recommend Milkshape3D.It is very easy to use, no need for a tutorial pretty self explanatory :DThe only downside is, that it is only free for 1 month if you wan't to use it longer you have to pay a very little fee

Yes, 3D Studio Max is definetly more intutive and Blender is a bit less. And there are reasons for it. 3D Studio Max has its developers working solely on it, with research done on user friendliness and such stuff.

Blender on the other hand was a inhouse production tool that was made open source I belive after a fund raising campaign. And yes, you do need to read the tutorials of Blender if you used 3DSM or other 3D softwares before, and I think that would be the cost for having a software with so many features free of cost.

It is sort of like would you go for Linux or would you go for Windows as an Operating system. Windows costs money and is very easy to use. Linux on the other hand does not cost a dime, but is a hell of a work on your learning curve.

But I see promise in Blender. You should download the latest version of Blender - it is so much better in terms of usability than the prior versions - prior to the production of the OpenSource movie Elephant Dreams. Moreover, if Blender makes it fully to the mainstream of game development, we would have a quite unique market setup in the game industry.

The content creation (in terms of 3d model) and the game engine would be in the same pipeline. Now, what is happening is, one would use a third party tool like 3D Studio Max or Maya or LightWave to create models - which would need to be exported to a proprietry format that can be understood by the inhouse engine so that it propagates down the pipeline. At a later stage if there requires any changes, it has to be done again at the 3D tool, and needs to be passed through lot of filters and converters to put it back to the pipeline. Now, if Blender (is already having a crude gaming or physics engine) would have a full fledged physics engine built into it, all the gaming companies could concentrate their efforts on creating the game - the gameplay - the content. This case would be good for all, except for the gaming companies that rely on selling a gaming engine. Imagine what kind of cutting edge game/physics engine would be created when the developers work as one and focus on one standard engine.

And because of this, and some wishful thinking, that I like Blender, and would like it to take a path that would make it better.

Now, in terms of learning it using tutorials - I must confess that I have not found much out there, than the few Blender Magazines. If anybody want to collaborate here at Xisto and create a Blender Tutorials, I would love to contribute what I can.

I've been all around the block. I started out with 3dsMax a long time ago. I went all the way up to version 6. Then I moved to Maya for a year. During this time I started experimenting with lightwave and wings3d and blender. Out of all of them, I was impressed with blender's speed and size. It's a very small app with so many features. I've been with it ever since. I've been using it for about 5 years now. I love it, and it keeps on getting better.For all the blender bashers out there, the learning curve is a bit steep. Blender is different than most other apps because it relies heavily on keyboard commands and shortcuts rather than a GUI driven interface. In the longrun you'll find this most pleasing and you'll wonder why everyone else hasn't switched to this efficient way of working.Heh, actually, the main reason I signed up for Xisto was to get a website back to host my 3D gallery. Actually, it was to host my video editing/motion graphics/3d animation demo reel.

BlenderWhich 3D Program Serves You The Best?

I have learnt blender for like 2 monthes with online tutorials, and I managed to get down the basics, enought to make a house and such. But I only using the basic commands I couldnt do curved shapes verywell, and to make like a dinossaur my only optionn was to press E to extract and then s to size it... Making things in blender can be quite challenging.Do you guys think I should stick up with blender? Its so hard just to put a color and a texture on a simple door...

-reply by Francisconossaur U