Pioneer just officially announced their DRC-101A

Blu-ray burner on 27 Dec. this burner/player is

capable both DVD±R/RWs and Blu-ray's on a single layer

25GB disc. So, itwill read BD-ROM/R/RE, DVD-ROM/DVD-R/DVD-RW

and +R/+RW discs. It offers the following write speeds:

1. BD-R/RE (2X)

2. DVD-R/+R (8X)

3. DVD-RW/+RW (4X)

Of course, it's not available for purchase now.

It is expected to begin shipping in the first quarter of 2006.

sourece

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/

Specification here (in Japanese)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Posted Image

I don't the market and consumers are ready for such product. Seriously, who would have a movie that is 23-25 GB big?9 GB is already called big. Games like HALO 2 already reside on these discs. Games on my HDD don't even use this capacity.Furthermore, I think it just makes it a waste of material to make a 23-25 GB Blu-Ray discxboxrulz

Furthermore, I think it just makes it a waste of material to make a 23-25 GB Blu-Ray disc

I think it's great if Blu-Ray and DVD become popular formats. For me, a 700MB size movie file is clear enough for my 15'' monitor. I can have my entire movie collection on a single blu-ray and have enough space to put some games as well.

Hehe ... I still remember being very surprised when I first saw the 1.44MB Floppy disk back in the days of MS-DOS. 1kb=1024bytes=1024 characters ..... 1mb=1024kb!!! That's a hell of a lot of space :D. Now, even a 700mb CD isn't much at all.

The reason Blu-Ray is launching is this. HDTV movies, current DVD standards cannot hold enough data for High Definition, thus the Blu-Ray technology. With the launching and production of Blu-Ray into the open market you will start seeing movies coming out that support 1080i and eventually the entire movie market will move that direction as HDTV becomes the standard media that the home theater market is pushing/using.With the added storage space per disc you could move your entire movie/pic/music collection off of your HDD and put it on a single/multiple blue ray disc(s) and clear up massive amounts of space. Also with the PS3 launching with the Blu-Ray drive in it you will start seeing massive RPG games on a single disc.

I work in the video production industry and having a burnable 25GB disk would be nice when dealing with large uncompressed projects, but as far as HD content goes, we're not buying yet.Why? Because the P0rn industry hasn't decided yet whether they are going with HD-DVD or Blu-ray. While Blu-ray offers more storage at the computer level, the fact that HD-DVD players are backwards compatable might be a deciding factor since there are a lot of people with lots of DVD's. This is an issue that we are waiting on the side-lines until we know what our clients will be using and what format will eventually win out.

It will be better if it has SATA interface instead of IDE...I think it's time to get rid of IDE cables.

While Blu-ray offers more storage at the computer level, the fact that HD-DVD players are backwards compatable might be a deciding factor since there are a lot of people with lots of DVD's.
This is an issue that we are waiting on the side-lines until we know what our clients will be using and what format will eventually win out.

Ok did some research and here is what I found.

While the Blu-Ray disk are totally different in design and manufacture from standard DVD, the players are capable of being backwards compatible should the product designers wish it to be so. The only real problem is that the Blu-Ray technology would require factories to be totally overhauled or new ones built to allow for their manufacture since it is so different from current DVD standards.

Now the "Blue-Laser DVD" standard that has been proposed by NEC and Toshiba allows for the current factory lines to be used, to a point, thus lowering the manufacturing revamp costs but doesn't allow for the "massive" boost in storage that the Blu-Ray tech does. Also if this standard is adopted it allows for quicker roll-out of mass product since they don't have to develope an entirely new manufacturing infrastructure.

As for the HD-DVD 9 only allows for 4.7 Gig to be stored on a single lay DVD also uses new High compression Codecs.

For more information here is a LINK to where you can read more about the different standards. I've just given a brief overview and tried not to plagurise the information.

Hope this helps shed a bit of light on the subject.

The format specification of Blu-ray standard has been finalized

by the Blu-ray Disc Association and it is now ready to begin licensing.

Not only the Blu-ray Disc single, but also the dual layer specifications

have been approved.

As said in my first post of this topic, Pioneer unveiled the first Blu-ray

disc player at the Consumer electronics show. Also, Philips releases

its all-in-one disc burner, the TripleWriter. TripleWriter supports

both BD-R and B-RE. It will be available in the second half of 2006.

Here are some Blu-ray products:

Philips' TripleWriter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Frankly, at these write speeds, it would take eons to actually complete writing a disk full of data. That woud be on a lot of people's minds before they went out to purchase the Blue-Ray Drive. But for the IT world in general and the security world it's wuite a boon. This is because, in a lot of fields, there's this huge requirement to constantly make and maintain multiple forms of backup of data. Even if a firm chocks up 50-100 Gb of data in a day through all employees worldwide, they'd still be able to record all the information onto a handful of disks on a daily basis, at multiple locations. Also, on the security front, it's going to be a windfall. Most survellance security systems utilize DVD recorders for recording live feeds from multiple channels. The problem here is that with the 4 Gb odd space available currently, DVD's tend to fill up at a rapud pace - especially if the recording is from more than 6-8 different cameras at a time. So special DVD writers have to be utilized that automatically shift writing to a different drive while changing DVDs. Now however, utilizing much the sam system except for the type of DVD writer and the DVDs that are written on, here'd be much more space to write on - resulting in longer periods between DVD changes or writing o disk at a higher resolution - something that would make identification of criminals (and of course the invasion of privacy) a lot more simpler.