xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
blix1405241486

Google Buys Part Of Aol Google grows stronger

Hi everyone,

i just came around some interesting news... Google bought 5 Percent of AOL for around 1 Billion USD. With this smart move they insured their advertising income from AOL. Previous negotiations between Microsoft and AOL stoped last weekend. Now MS is joining an alliance with Yahoo.

Read the Article here.

PS. It´s in German

Wow, that's cool. So that means AOL is about $20~25 billion dollar company? Hmm... I thought it would be bigger. You know what, I don't even know what a billion dollars are - it's an amount of money I will never have (I doubt it) and I will never know the value of. I think it can buy me billions of Kit Kat bars (oh my gosh, I love them).Anyway, it would be interesting to see Microsoft ally with Yahoo!. Some of the biggest Internet industry/companies working together to do something... something mysterious - or maybe dominate the Internet industry? Well, since I do not study world business / marketing, I don't know any familiar effects to what might actually happen.But wow... $1 billion!!!! I mean, I wish I could have 0.1% of that :huh::)

aol worth 20 billion wow. thats alot more than some countries - that is odd.this is sort of strange news though. 'dont be evil' google joining with one of the most restrictive and basically bad isp's aol. not a match i would have thought. i would have been unsurprized however if google started a google isp.weird isnt it how all these massive corporations are just like rival global superpowers with their politics.

This is a smart move for Google, even though AOL isn't one of the best ISPs around, it is one of the most popular in US. I used it once before too and i love the browser and everything that comes with it. You're definitely restricted in some ways though i have to admit. Also, AIM mail comes with 2gigs of storage which is similar to Gmail. I wonder if Gmail will join be part of the screenname program thing. AOL will get another nice boost of profits while Google works its way up and maybe even dominate AOL's email/AIM service. I'll wait till then for it to happen. :huh:

Well that is one of the hot news i've heard recently!Google has now 5% of AOL...we all know how big AOL is and that how much they earn..so its good news for all Google fans that there fav. search engine company is stepping into Internet Service provider race as well!Who knows that one day we'll be discussing that Google has more than 50% of the share of AOL!Well, I've heard that Google is planning to provide Internet connection thru wireless...Now is that true? And if it is then I think this 5% is one of the big step of the plan they have in their mind.

I just hope Google doesnt over-extend themselves. Slipping into the ISP business seems like it could have some bad reprecussions. I love Google, and all I can say is that it better not become something akin to AOL or MS. :S

I think it was a smart move. Most parents are always talking about AOL and how it's so great, thought hey don't know what great is until they meet some company with broadband connection of course :huh: Now that when people see AOL, they'll think of the google site even more. Most people nowadays don't say, go search for it on a search engine. Now they say, go google it. Quite common, and AOL will surely benefit from it too from being part of google.

well with the way google is coming out with new stuff I won't besurprised if they have a ISP that rivals aol, msn, comcast, verizon, yahoo and some of the other big names as well.wasn't google like worth $8-9 billion or something like that?, if they where smart google should slowly buy aol stock and once they get a majority of it change the name and reformat the whole ISP.

if they where smart google should slowly buy aol stock and once they get a majority of it change the name and reformat the whole ISP.

1064333972[/snapback]

Oh, that's on the top of my wish list for Google right now: getting rid of AOL, or at least making it a halfway decent ISP.

I haven't been stuck with AOL in years, but wow ... my grandmother used it, and I was constantly having to fix her computer, and do all this other stupid stuff, because of AOL.

Glad that's over. But still, I feel bad for people who don't realize that there are actually easier *and* cheaper ways to get online. Maybe Google can someday make some sort of difference. Yeah, right. They only own five percent right now; it would take tons more than that - billions and billions and billions of additional dollars sent to AOL - to have that happen.