xisto Community
kaputnik

MS Outlook Rules How to sutomatically save attachments?

I've spent a good hour and a half playing around with all sorts of combinations, but nothing seems to be working out for me.. HEre's what I'm trying to do.. Am trying to automatically (by setting a rule or other way) save attachments sent to me through a perticular account (and with a perticular username) to a designated folderWhile I'm asking, before I started fiddeling around with my outlook, I also wanted to automatically save only those files that were under 350 kb. And, if possible automatically scan the files for viruses.. :) I guess that's asking for a bit.Also, if anyone knows any other Mail S/W that can handle rules like this, I'd really like to hear about it. Thanks....

I've spent a good hour and a half playing around with all sorts of combinations, but nothing seems to be working out for me.. 

HEre's what I'm trying to do..  Am trying to automatically (by setting a rule or other way) save attachments sent to me through a perticular account (and with a perticular username) to a designated folder

While I'm asking, before I started fiddeling around with my outlook, I also wanted to automatically save only those files that were under 350 kb. And, if possible automatically scan the files for viruses..  :)

I guess that's asking for a bit.

Also, if anyone knows any other Mail S/W that can handle rules like this, I'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks....

1064332087[/snapback]

This might not fully answer your problem but I just don't like to use Microsoft Outlook. I use Thunderbird instead and ofcourse, Thunderbird and Firefox is the best combination for web surfing :huh:

Good alternative programs are:

⢠Eudora

⢠Mozilla Thunderbird

⢠Apple Mail (integrated in Mac OS X)

but there are a lot, lot more. I think Mail lacks the ability to set a file size that should be downloaded as Max (Eudora has the feature. Thunderbird might know, maybe with an extension.).

I think the attachment location thing can be down with all programs. I remember setting it up in Eudora, but Mail is enabled to do so too I think.

For the virus scans you need a virus protection system, either on your computer or on your Mail server. Gmail for example offers a virus protection. The user finaldesign round here always has some invitation links in his signature. There are plenty of anti-virus programs, so I can't recommend you "the" program to take.

I think you would be happy with Eudora (I know that it fits your needs), maybe Thunderbird too (not so sure about the features). Eudora costs money though, if you want to get rid of the ad.

Yea for a second I thought he meant "MS OUtlook RULES~!!!!!' like...this was a thread talking about how awesome it was....it made me cry inside... but luckily it's just someone who hasn't learned better yet.

1064332794[/snapback]

I actually hace used Thunderbird, and I started off on it.. I actually still use it.. but I can't configure it to save attachments from a specific account automatically either.. Then I tried Outlook.. and nope.. couldn't get that to work out the way I want it to either.. :huh:

I know for sure that Eudora does all the stuff you want. I'm not so sure about Thunderbird (but it is possible to download/write extensions, so practically everything is possible).

This might work for most of it, but you need to enter this in as a VB project and then call the script name from the Rules section.Sub SaveToFolder(MyMail As MailItem)Dim strID As StringDim objNS As Outlook.NameSpaceDim objMail As Outlook.MailItemDim objAtt As Outlook.AttachmentDim c As IntegerDim save_name As String'Place path to sav to on next line. Note that you must include the'final backslashConst save_path As String = "X:SHAREVCMS CSVCSV"StrID = MyMail.EntryIDSet objNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")Set objMail = objNS.GetItemFromID(strID)If objMail.Attachments.Count > 0 ThenFor c = 1 To objMail.Attachments.CountSet objAtt = objMail.Attachments©Save_name = Left(objAtt.FileName, Len(objAtt.FileName) - 4)'save_name = save_name & Format(objMail.ReceivedTime, "_mm-dd-yyyy_hhmm")Save_name = save_name & Right(objAtt.FileName, 4)ObjAtt.SaveAsFile save_path & save_nameNextEnd IfSet objAtt = NothingSet objMail = NothingSet objNS = NothingEnd Sub-reply by Nano

save attachments and import data in a DB AccessMS Outlook Rules

I need to save attachments of every incoming email and import some data into a DB Access.Could you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!Roberto

- Robi

VB ScriptMS Outlook Rules

That script is awesome feedbacker!

Thanks so much! I almost bought commercial software just because of this feature.

We have a fax 2 email setup in the office, and we have a fileserver that receives all the fax emails, we never really new if we had new faxes but we do now, it appears in the fax folder !

Thanks again mate!

-reply by ph33rlus

Darn, I really wanted this to workMS Outlook Rules

I copied your procedure into Project1.Module1 in Outlook 2007 and set it to be called from the Rule using "run a script," and I was able to see that one script in the otherwise-empty list of scripts.The problem is that it's not being called.  I know because I set a breakpoint, moved my email item with the attachment to my inbox, and ran the rule.  The rule executed--it moved the item from my inbox to the proper folder--but the script never was called.  Any idea what the problem could be?  The only change I made was to save_path.

Thanks,Eric

MS Outlook ModuleMS Outlook Rules

This is a great Module that FeedBacker supplied. All that was needed was to add it to Outlook and setup the rule. A test run on existing emails worked like a charm.

Very good post. Thanks a lot. 

-reply by Rich