xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mesmer

I Bet My PC Has A Cardboard Case And Does Yours ? nnanaananannanaaa

Wow. That's really ghetto. Even more so than one pic I saw somewhere of a guy who'd used a plastic milk crate for his case. Pretty sweet.

im properly impressed. thats awesome.but some constructive critisism:*possibly a matching cardboard case for your monitor.*also it would be good if you could get on to making some of the boards on cardboard aswell. selotape lines of copper down and the jobs a good'un*and just a little addition of a desk fan duct taped on the side would help cooling.and im not being sarcastic - im being serious!

Dude I dont know what to say Ghetto? Maybe dude one day that thing is going to short circut and someone is going to be sad....why dont you just get a proper case? I mean really

1064332040[/snapback]

lol oh, thats for like 3 days, cuz i just wannted my computer up n running before the case was modded. right now is just running under a coolermaster-wavemaster. i got lazy on it.

That's pretty sweet. I'd have never thought about using a cardboard box. But if it's all about how skimpy it can get, a while back I had to change computers, and the parts arrived a couple weeks before the case. So I just wired the stuff together and had it all spread out over the carpet. Not a reccomended repeatable, as someone happened to walk by when the lights were off, and nearly cost me the motherboard.

Oh man...and I thought I've used odd cases..Once I built up a liquid-cooled 486 system..inside a fishtank. Now, I don't know how liquid cooling works as far as traditional liquid cooling, but I actually had the circuit boards sumberged in the liquid itself, and properly functioning! I just took the motherboard, video card, sound card, network card, and I/O card, and put them in a fishtank that was about 5 inches deep full of vegetable oil, and mounted the drives and power supply on a board that rested atop the tank.My next project will be quite interesting indeed. I have an old IBM selectric typewriter that I am going to turn into a computer once I obtain an ATX PowerPC motherboard to shoehorn inside it. I will put a slim, slotloading DVD-RW drive on it, and somehow incorporate a keyboard in place of the original typewriter keyboard. as far as expansion goes, simply just open the top cover like you would to change the ink ribbon, and there are your expansion cards! (however, you'll probably have to take the metal mounting plate off the card to fit it), and hopefully, although I doubt it, find a way to make the stock On/Off switch turn it off and on. I once saw online a nice little project that was similar, but using an Atari 800 computer, and the keyboard was non-functional. Another project, if I can find just the case for an Apple II, will be to do the same using the excellent Apple II case. To plug things in though, You'lll have to actually open the computer, with maybe the exception of putting USB ports in place of one of the apple II's ribbon cable holes.

I would like to try something similar to the Apple IIe project with a Texas Instruments 99/A. I had one when I was younger and would love to try to update one with a newer motherboard and what not...although I would probably use a laptop system for the innards and then attach a folding screen to the top and use it like a laptop...just so people will ask questions...lol

Posted Image

I will have a PowerPC system built up that looks like this someday...new computers and case designs just don't look good anymore..(except for Apple's)

1064333615[/snapback]

Awesome - try playing Quake on that :huh: umm.. i wonder how long its gonna take u to print each frame - and how they're going to respond to you keystrokes ..