xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jedipi

What Office Suite Do You Use On You Mac?

I just want to see what people out there use.I am cheap and use Open Office as it is free and works very wellbut the interface is lacking..I used to have Apple works but it is old and out dated.iWork is too expensive. :)Office has two problems, way to expensive and M$ makes it

I use M$ office, the Olllld copy, maybe the one released in 1999 ... but it still works fine for me .. the only problem i get is when i give a copy of the .doc file from my mac to sumone on a PC with M$ office 2003. The same happens when i try to do it at home. But if i save it in a Word 97 etc format it opens in my PC and i can save it again as a 2003 file. Weird, but maybe it the old version bug or sumthing. I havent found any problems with Office yet, but its an old version thats all.Havent tried anyother Office suite, and would love to try it. But then i guess Office has a catch on these suits, and non would prefer an alternate solution.RegardsDhanesh.

I just want to see what people out there use.

I am cheap and use Open Office as it is free and works very well

but the interface is lacking..

I used to have Apple works but it is old and out dated.

iWork is too expensive. :)

Office has two problems, way to expensive and M$ makes it

1064331044[/snapback]

In my opinion I feel that Microsoft Office is by far the best option for a Office Suite on the Macintosh. Open Office/Neo Office is certainly adequte but a lack of macos support for Open Office (needing to install X11) and Neo Office held back by its slow Java interface makes both options only worthwhile if you don't want to spend any money on a solution. I havn't used iWork but I doubt you could call it an office suite due to the lack of a spreadsheet application. Yes, Office is expensive (but luckly i'm a student so I get a massive discount on it) but it is a suprsingly good application for something coming out of Microsoft. It has a great interface and the various programs (word, excel etc) all work seamlessly together.

I still use Office version V.x. Why? I bought a copy beacuse I needed Excel and Powerpoint. Apple Works' spreadsheet would not save formulas in Excel exported files. And PowerPoint was a must have for me. Keynote wasn't out yet and even with Keynote 2, it is nice, but I still find that Powerpoint has more themes and is a popular business format. So even if my laptop would die, most companies would have PP on a computer hooked up to a projector. Now I didn't upgrade to 2004 simply because I really didn't need too. But that's just me.

I just want to see what people out there use.I am cheap and use Open Office as it is free and works very well
but the interface is lacking..
I used to have Apple works but it is old and out dated.
iWork is too expensive. :lol:
Office has two problems, way to expensive and M$ makes it

I use JEdit for almost everything (yes, it IS a text editor). Standard business correspondence does not have to be anything but plain text. For fancier stuff like articles or papers, I then run text through LaTeX or DocBook. If I really need something quick and dirty with some formatting, I open up Mac TextEdit and make an RTF. I have a copy of OpenOffice installed to read other people's documents that TextEdit does not, but I use it once a month if that.

Sticking to text is not (just) because I am an old time UNIX hacker and started writing papers in college with TROFF. It makes it a lot easier to manipulate gobs of documents with scripts or tools, including searching and version control. I also get used to my text editor and can use the same UI for everything from code to business letters to manuscripts. No "Office Suite" scales that well.

i have neo office appleworks and ms office installed i tend to use ms office the most because sending files around they tend to be the more universal type as all xp machines come stocked with wordpad and alot of xp users use word. aditionally they can get opened in linux office apps like openoffice but to be honest i like appleworks the best because it's so freakin cool. it has something mac about it that can't be replicated.

Yeah, the carbon version has issues. As in doesn't save, etc.. I know, still in Alpha stage, but still...Since the last post I upgraded to Office 2004 when I bought my MacBook Pro. (Which btw, MacMall has them on clearance for $1700 USD right now) I love office on Mac. It works, easy to use, and after two weeks of *****ing about the menu system when i initially switched over back in 2002, I've grown to love it. Everything is right there once you know where to look. Even works well for my Dad. And he was using OO on PC before I bought him an iMac for xmas.

I want to install Office Mac 2004 on my Mac 10.4.7 but i cannot install it at all. Word, Excel, Entourage, and PowerPoint icons has 'exec' on it, this must be a Windows executable file. I'm a bit confused here, I cannot find the 'Office Setup Assistant'...