xisto Community
altsr

Battle Of Music Players: iPod vs. Creative

I found out that Creative Music Player are becoming better and better each day.Has Apple solve their easy to scratch Nano?Who is winning the battle? How? Why?PS: Samsung is also rising to become a top gun in the Music Player industry

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

If you want style, I say the iPod is best. It's obvious they look the coolest. But they're so easy to scratch...my gosh.

If you want the most for your money, I'd say go with a Creative. The Zen Micro is the same price as a 2 gig iPod Nano, but has a 6 gigabyte drive.

Although, the Creative players are now have the Windows Audio PlaysForSure thingamabob/whatchamacallit, so I dunno if it'd work with Linux.....but Ipods should. ;)

I prefer Cretive, since i've got one myself. Sure, iPod looks better, but ask yourself - would you drive a nice car that has a max speed od 50 kmph, or a Yugo (google it if you don't know what it is) that goes 200 kmph? When you answer that, you'll know what to do. But it should be Creative in my opinion.P.S. Yugo has absolutly no chance of achieving 200 kmph ;)

Creative Drivers don't support Macs (as far as I could find out, trying to connect an Creative Zen). I'm not sure about Linux, at least not natively.iPods do.. and honestly fellows, most people want the headphones, not the iPod, because they show the style/riches/attitude. It is like the golden chains for the ghetto or the car for the average 45 yr. old Kraut. First impression. status symbol.

I found out that Creative Music Player are becoming better and better each day.

Has Apple solve their easy to scratch Nano?

Who is winning the battle? How? Why?

PS: Samsung is also rising to become a top gun in the Music Player industry

1064329405[/snapback]

I just bought my first portable MP3 player a few days ago. I only had $100 to spend, so there was no way that I would get some brand-new, eight-thousand-gigabyte player. But, the advantage for me is that I only need a few CDs' worth of music on the thing at any given time. I just use it when I'm going to or from classes, and maybe sometimes when I'm at home with my family - but in the latter instance, I have my laptop right there so I can of course transfer new files in whenever I feel like changing things up.

Anyway ... I ended up with an iriver, which I really like so far. It holds 256MB of music, runs on a plain old AA battery (very easy to change out - and cheap to replace), and came with all the accessores I wanted (and some that I didn't, like the armband). And, if I get bored with the music that I've loaded, I can switch to the radio option.

Apple's only comparably-priced product is the Shuffle, which I don't like. For 100 dollars you get 512MB of space, yes, and you have the convenience of being able to use iTunes. But you don't get a display screen. My iRiver, on the other hand, has that display - which is pretty much vital to me.

So, I'll take half the space to get the digital screen any day. I think that a lot of Apple's sales are just for the trendiness factor anyway. A lot of people call portable MP3 players "iPods" even when the device in question isn't made by Apple. It's sort of like how we call all tissues "Kleenex" even though we're blowing our noses into some generic brand. *shrugs* We'll see if Apple can stay on top.

I just bought my first portable MP3 player a few days ago. I only had $100 to spend, so there was no way that I would get some brand-new, eight-thousand-gigabyte player. But, the advantage for me is that I only need a few CDs' worth of music on the thing at any given time. I just use it when I'm going to or from classes, and maybe sometimes when I'm at home with my family - but in the latter instance, I have my laptop right there so I can of course transfer new files in whenever I feel like changing things up.
Anyway ... I ended up with an iriver, which I really like so far. It holds 256MB of music, runs on a plain old AA battery (very easy to change out - and cheap to replace), and came with all the accessores I wanted (and some that I didn't, like the armband). And, if I get bored with the music that I've loaded, I can switch to the radio option.

Apple's only comparably-priced product is the Shuffle, which I don't like. For 100 dollars you get 512MB of space, yes, and you have the convenience of being able to use iTunes. But you don't get a display screen. My iRiver, on the other hand, has that display - which is pretty much vital to me.

So, I'll take half the space to get the digital screen any day. I think that a lot of Apple's sales are just for the trendiness factor anyway. A lot of people call portable MP3 players "iPods" even when the device in question isn't made by Apple. It's sort of like how we call all tissues "Kleenex" even though we're blowing our noses into some generic brand. *shrugs* We'll see if Apple can stay on top.

Hmm quite interesting.

And about the thing about kleenex's and ipods... Its the same way with handheld games. Everyone calls them a gameboy unless they know better.

*shrug* just an observation.

Now Please correct me if this is false, but arent you forced to use apple's software to load mp3's onto your Ipod? I was under the assumption that this was the case, hense me buying a 30gb zen jukebox.

Now Please correct me if this is false, but arent you forced to use apple's software to load mp3's onto your Ipod? I was under the assumption that this was the case, hense me buying a 30gb zen jukebox.

Not technically, there are thirty party software out there to do such a thing. Personally though I like the itunes system as it works nicely, and is easy to organize. My complaint is with the ipod videos and the slow kickstart after being off for a bit...or maybe I'm just that lucky to get a defunct ipod as well.

Well there's always ways around the default, but it's not the easiest, and you sometimes end up giving up and going back to itunes. which i don't like because it takes over the audio control of the playback on the computer, plus loads itself at startup and has its little running processes all the time. gunks up the computer some more, especially on a windows platform. As Sarah81 said, the iRiver is a great mp3 player, and if i were out shopping for a new one, that's what i would go for, after living with an iPod fanatic, and owning a Creative Zen.

As far as i'm concerned they are all overpriced. I think Creative is more expensive generally than the Apple Ipod's aren't they?That might be their new portable video viewing devices I'm thinking of though.

I was wondering...Since iTunes is a favorite of many (simple to use with a pleasing interface), it helps sell the iPod and also songs from the Music Store. However, some of us love the iTunes program, but can't afford or don't like the iPod.What can we do? I use a cheap iRiver, which serves its purpose at a low cost. Unfortunately, the best software I have for loading songs onto it is Windows Media Player- shoddy at best.Is there some way of using iTunes with other devices?Or is there a similarly pleasing program that is compatible with many devices?I'm looking for free, here...

Better products may arrive, and Apple and Creative may sue each other to their heart's delight .. but the MP3 player market has a big "dumb zone".

This "dumb zone" consists of all the users taking whatever looks nice, others have, is advertised all around etc. Apple played this brilliantly, and 'iPod' is everywhere. The final stage where the word 'mp3player' is replaced by 'Ipod' is achieved in many states.

Even if products with better hardware or functionality arrive, I'm afraid they'll fail to shout louder than iPod. The dumb zone doesn't necessarily want slightly better audio quality, but a fashionable product that's easy to use.

An example is of course the design, where form follows fashion (lack of extra buttons) and the product numbers.

Just "iPod" and "iPod video". not RandomPlayer TS729 V1, because the target market doesn't care.

iPods being updated (generation) several times in the past but it didn't change their name. User convenience.

Posted Image

For my next MP3 player purchase (iPod still working after all those years, although hard drive does make some noise) I will consider many options and evaluate them, however the dumb zone user won't.

Creative may win in products that may appeal more to the critical market, however Apple seems to be doing better and better in the bigger market.

What do you mean? do like get music onto it? I thought all mp3 players for mass storage devices and windows detected them as such..... don't you just drag and drop them in like you would with a floppy disk (with faster result of course)?I'm not huge on the whole Ipod, Creative and Mp3/Video player etc things so I'm not entirely sure as to what you are after.The only use I have for WMP is watching video and listening to audio all that other crap is useless in my opinion lol :(

Im not sure if someone has said this but I personally have a creative(Zen V) and its a 1gig but I have 7 albums on it that are big I'm talking 24 songs on each album, and its only half full. the ipods do have a cool look I will agree with that but the one I have costs about $50 and it has radio, pictures, Video, and you can also make unused space into a zip drive (flash drive what ever you all it)I'm not sure if ipods can do that but I know that you have to get an adapter to listen to radio and the video ones cost 400+. so I'm really impressed with mine ive also had the Zen nano plus and that one has had great performance good durability (trust me that thing took alot of abuse) but I lost it so I decided to step it up to the zen V I recommend creative-koolman

I love the zen vision m

Battle Of Music Players: iPod vs. Creative

My brother has a Creative Zen Vision M 30gb. I use it quite often and it is great. I can go to bed, watch a DivX video, not a "poopy" .Mp4. Even after watching a full length movie, it still has 3/4 of a battery charge left. Also, with the a/v cord output to the TV, I can store many excellent quality videos and not need to waste money on DVD+are's. Another great feature is the ability to right click files and click "Send to Device: Media Library" instead of having to hop on crappy iTunes.

Also, in order to keep data on an iPod, does it have to be on the computer harddrive at all times?

-kdvers