xisto Community
WeaponX

How To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

Networking

How 2 create Networking and sonfiguration of server

And how 2 create ghost CD

-reply by gokul

how to install xp by ghost on another systemHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

Tell me the full step by step procedure-how to install xp on any other computer with pre loaded programes by dvd using norton ghost.Thete should be the function of setting partition size also.Please tell which versions of norton ghost will support this operation?

-question by Vikas

Hi,I am very new to Computer. I heard that we can make a ghost file in our computer so that we can restore it back at any future time. As I know that to reinstall a new window, it will takes about alt least 2 hours and to restore through ghost file, it takes about 15 minutes.Can you show me on how to do this? I am using Window XP Sp2.Thank you,

-question by Sokhorn

windows vista ghost imageHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On WindowsHi I m using windows vista home premium edition I want to make it's ghost image so dat I can reinstall my window again with all my important drivers and softwares please tell me the solution how to create it or tell me it's correspondance way with all required details. I wud deeply appreciate if you cud giv me a prompt reply at your most convenient.Many thanks-reply by adil nawaz

Dear All,

I don't have floppy drive. I have norton Ghost & Norton Partition Magic new versions but I can't edit boot disk because I don't have floopy drive. I want to make recovery partition & recovery disk. Any option for making a recovery partition with recovery disk using Norton Ghost & Norton Partition Magic? 

-question by Santosh

<p>Dear All,</p><p>I don't have floppy drive. I have norton Ghost & Norton Partition Magic new versions but I can't edit boot disk because I don't have floopy drive. I want to make recovery partition & recovery disk. Any option for making a recovery partition with recovery disk using Norton Ghost & Norton Partition Magic? </p>
<p>

-question by Santosh</p>
<p> </p>

There is no real problem.
The only thing is to have performed a Norton Ghost backup when your system was perfectly running and store it in a safe place (another partition of the same disk, or an USB disk, or on another server offering a network disk resource.
When you buy Norton Ghost, you receive the Norton Ghost recovery disk. The old versions had recovery disks on floppy disks, the new Norton Ghost versions provide you with a recovery disk on a bootable CD.
You simply boot on the Norton Ghost recovery CD, if the network does not start automatically you click on the network configuration tab (if you want to reach your backup on a remote machine) and then you click "recover my system", and tell Norton Ghost where your backup is : local or remote.
This is for home users. There is also a profession version, where you install a backup server which holds all the backups, then you simply configure the system to be installed in order to boot on the network, and then the network installer sees the system booting and starts the backup install... A real dream, isn't it ?
But you don't need the professional version, for a single system (or for rather few systems) you simply need the Norton Ghost recovery CD.
However, let's be clear. The recovery CD is only able to restore from an already existing backup, it cannot create a new backup.
In order to create a new backup, you need to install the full Norton Ghost software on the PC you wan to backup.

Same model/SpecsHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

It DOES have to be the same sort of system/software/drivers etc as the computer you want to put it on. Otherwise you will eff it up and blue screen. So Frustrating 

-reply by William

Create Ghost of Window XP and all ApplicationHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

I day I formatted a system. After that all the application which is installed in my system are also formated. I need a help that how to create Ghost CD of windows XP, which is installed in my system including all application.

-reply by Munish Kumar

Installation of Windows XP by Ghost image within five (5) minutes.How To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

I want to install windows xp within five (5) minutes by norton ghost, but I don't know which version of ghost is required to do that, how to create an image and after creating an image how to boot & run setup from image. From where I can download the require version of ghost.

Thanks & RegardsMihir Das Purkayastha

Using Norton Ghost 15How To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On WindowsHello,You do not have to install the Ghost 15 program on anycomputer to allow you you make an image backup: the Norton Ghost 15Boot CD can indeed be used to produce backups of any Windows XPinstallation, even on a computer other than the one where the licensedprogram was originally installed: simply insert the CD, shut down thecomputer, switch it back on, select "Boot from CD" and when the program starts, select the required hard drive partition. You can also use it to Image any other partition.(You may have to change the BIOS to allow the computer to be booted from a CD)Of course, due to differences in hardware/drivers etc between machines, the Image backup may not work on a different computer.The backups MUST be stored on another partition or external USB drive: doNOT run any defragmenting programs on the drive or partition containingthe Image backups, as this may cause problems when reinstalling theimage.To reinstall the OS or contents of any other partition,again boot from the CD, select the required backup and after a fewminutes the job will be done!I have used this method many times: I make an image backup of a computer before starting to removevirus/spyware infections (if any Operating System files have beencompromised by the infections, these may sometimes need to be removed by the cleaning programs, if they cannot successfully be cleaned). Havingan image allow me to 'start-over' if it all goes bad.Hope that this will be helpful.-feedback by T.J.Kirkpatrick

Ghost Cast Server 11.0 Windows 7 ProHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

I created an image of a laptop running Windows 7 Pro. When I push the image out

to another laptop (same model) and boot it up it, Windows Boot Manager comes

up: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I do remember when I pushed the image I saw three partitions one: small Diag.

two: NTFS 8.5 GB, three: NTFS with the remaining disk space. I pushed it

to the largest partition. Any information on what I did wrong will be appreciated.

Ghost Cast Server 11.0 Windows 7 Pro

I created an image of a laptop running Windows 7 Pro. When I push the image out

to another laptop (same model) and boot it up it, Windows Boot Manager comes

up: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I do remember when I pushed the image I saw three partitions one: small Diag.

two: NTFS 8.5 GB, three: NTFS with the remaining disk space. I pushed it

to the largest partition. Any information on what I did wrong will be appreciated.

Norton ghost is intended for backing up your own system, it is not usable for cloning purposes.

Norton ghost is able to clone your c: disk and restore your c: from the ghost image if you loose your c: disk.

But the c: disk may happen not to have all the necessary informations in order to boot another system. For instance, your "boot.ini" file could be on another partition or on another disk which has not been backed up!

In case of emergency, you can try cloning your whole hard disk (and not a single partition) to a ghost image, and try restoring on another PC.

If the cloned system does not boot, you can boot on the Microsoft Windows installation CD sold with your PC. You have to choose "recover my PC", and then "repair my PC install", The Microsoft Windows install CD recover procedure should be able to repair the missing drivers if you have a "real" Microsoft CD (not a OEM CD).

But this is not guaranteed, this way of cloning a system is not compliant with the contract you implicitly (or explicitly) signed when you bought Norton ghost: the software has to be used in order to restore on the same physical hardware (and not an almost identical hardware). For instance, suppose that on the new laptop your disk is not defined as bootable inside the BIOS, or if you have a SAS disk instead of a SATA disk, your windows disk drivers will be wrong and will not boot.

About the Norton ghost softwareHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

Will u Please tell whether the Norton ghost software gets at free version..?If so kindly mention the website for it..

-question by Nasir