xisto Community
WeaponX

How To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

Ghost image filesHow To Create "ghost" Images (norton) On Windows

I use ghost frequently to backup and restore about 50 machines including laptops, desktops, servers with WinXP, Win2000, NT, Server 2008 & 2003.I use Ghost 11 boot CD and an external 1TB USB drive. Simply connect the USB drive, insert the CD and boot. Ghost starts up. Select options SPAN, AUTO FILENAME and COMPATIBLE NAMING. For the span size, enter a suitable size-I use either 700MB or 2GB depending on if the PC has a CD or DVD drive. Auto Filename will automatically generate the next filename in the collection. Compatible Naming will use the extension for the file index. Ie. Name.GHO,name.001, name.002, name.003.Since your ghosting to an external drive, you can select the whole disk or 1 or more partitions.Select create image (either disk or partition)Select the source from the local PCSelect the destination on the external USB drive. Enter an 8 char filename.Select High compression. I've never had a problem... Ever!Once the image is created you'll find the ghost files on the USB drive. You can copy them, move them, write them to CD or DVD, anything. I do this all the time.To restore the image, just reverse the steps. Insert the ghost boot disk, connect the USB drive and boot.Select restore disk or image. If you restore the disk, all partitions in the ghost image files will be re-created. You can change the size of each partition before you continue.Select either the local disk or partition where you want the image to go.Press start. The image will be loaded from the USB drive, back onto the computer.Things to consider...1. If you restore a system partition image to a different type of computer, it may not work. However, I've had luck with this by either windows finding new drivers or by installing the drivers.2. If you restore a data drive, ie. All your pictures and movies, etc. It will work just fine.3. When restoring a split image file and you used the auto naming and compatible naming option when creating the image, the image will be restored without asking for the next file. If you rename the image, make sure you rename all files for the image with the same name.4. You can copy the image files to CD or DVD and restore directly from the media. Waste of time.5. If you boot from a USB key, you'll find it a lot easier using a CD boot disk. USB stick boots will NOT recognize external USB drives - I spent days trying this. Also, once you have your USB key working, when the next generation of PC's come out, your out of luck.

reply by DirkPitt99