xisto Community
CarolinaBlues

Help Me: Need To Transfer Files From Old Computer

How to I upload my computer stuff. I bought a new computer - a Dell. But I need to get all my files form my old computer, and Emachines, can someone help me?

1064329002[/snapback]

didnt quiet get your question, but assuming that you need to transfer the files to your new pc.

You could take your old Hard Disk and connect it to the new computer, or if you have a Hard Disk with the new computer then remove the new HDD and connect it to your old PC , transfer the required files and put it back in the new pc.

If all this is a pain, then burn a CD or use an external HDD or multiple flash drives ;)

If you are talking about uploading files then i assume they might be few and those can be transfered through burning a CD or using a flash disk.

Regards

Dhanesh.

It depends a bit on the space you need and how old your old computer was/is. Some of the USB drives would not work with older computers.

Maybe an USB-Stick will be enough to transfer, they are mostly compatible with older hardware

didnt quiet get your question, but assuming that you need to transfer the files to your new pc.

You could take your old Hard Disk and connect it to the new computer, or if you have a Hard Disk with the new computer then remove the new HDD and connect it to your old PC , transfer the required files and put it back in the new pc.

If all this is a pain, then burn a CD or use an external HDD or multiple flash drives ;)

If you are talking about uploading files then i assume they might be few and those can be transfered through burning a CD or using a flash disk.

Regards

Dhanesh.

1064329054[/snapback]

I think, you can cheat the system a little. If you connect a two-way USB cable from your new machine to your old one, you should be able to do it. Note that I am going on the presumption of a theory that data trasnfer comes in multiple forms.

I wouldn't recommend the USB route. Just like the days of ole in which serial cables still reigned, you will need a special cable or null modem to transfer data. If possible you should backup to CD or DVD. This way you will have a backup of your data just in case something goes wrong. In addition to this you should keep a monthly backup from this point forward.

How to I upload my computer stuff. I bought a new computer - a Dell. But I need to get all my files form my old computer, and Emachines, can someone help me?

1064329002[/snapback]

I suppose that your new computer has an Ethernet connector ? and that your old computer has an Ethernet adapter too ? Then, you simply need an Ethernet cross cable, give a fixed IP Ethernet address to each box, and create a shared folder on the old computer, and use the mouse on the new computer, mount the shared folder and copy all the files from the shared folder to the new computer hard disk.

No dismounting, only a one-meter cable available in most supermarkets !

If you need more help for configuring this Ethernet cable and fixed IP things, tell it here, and we will help you more.

Regards

Yordan

The best way to get your stuff to your new PC would probably be to take the old hard drive and put it in the new PC, which would let you copy your files directly off without having to use anything in between. If not that, then burning CD-Rs/DVDs is probably your best bet. If the files are small (just a few documents or spreadsheets (and its a fairly recent computer), a USB flash drive might be the easiest and quickest way to go.

the best way would be to take HDD form old computer out. then check it's jumper settings, and make the jumper settings on that old HDD to SLAVE. Then put it in in new computer, and just connect it to same cables where is your NEW hdd. There should be one space left for connecting additional hdd, so connect it there, and connect a power supply cables. And that's it, basicly power up your computer, and enter bios with pressing "del" button on your keyboard, while it's in boot state, in bios look for setting of hdd (it's there somewhere, depends on bios you have) and just check that HDD settings are changed to AUTO mode, and just save your settings, and leave computer to restart, when it boots to windows, you will have 2 HDD's installed, and you will be able to copy data from one hdd to another in windows explorer. Just when you are finished, shut down the computer, and take down that old hdd, and your job is done...

hi, you have't provides information about you computers, it would be best if you provides it. for the most time, the methods of other members stated above post is supposed to works without problems. however, if the hard drive of your old computer is too old, that might be required you to connect it to secondary controller of the new computer to work or would be failed at all. if it failed, connect its with lan card and cable, then, you would get files transfered. ;) - hope this help

I would go for the option of putting the old HD in the new computer as well. Data transfer is quick and safe. Just make sure that you "copy", not paste in case of eventual data loss during transfer. Later, if you don't need the old PC anymore, you could still make use of the additional HD space in your new machine. Don't we all need more HD space ;)

curare

I would go for the option of putting the old HD in the new computer as well. Data transfer is quick and safe. Just make sure that you "copy", not move in case of eventual data loss during transfer. Later, if you don't need the old PC anymore, you could still make use of the additional HD space in your new machine. Don't we all need more HD space ;)

curare

Be careful when moving the hardware drive from the old computer to the new ones. Sometimes you are not allowed to physically open the new computer during one year. Else, in case of hardware problem, customer service will say " sorry, you opened the box, you modified the hardware, we are not responsible any more".

Funny, yordan, I read this here over and over again. "If you open your box, you lose the warranty". I am from Austria, and I would say 85 - 90% of the PCs sold here are not sealed. Nor are they in my second home, Thailand. Nor in Germany, Sweden. Seems to be a different story in the States and other countries as well. Of course the perspective very common here is, "if it's sealed, don't buy it". That's at least my attitude and that of all of my friends. I bought one, opened it, put some extra stuff in it, then the power unit died. Brought it to the dealer, he changed the power unit and home I went. I was not charged one cent. Has to do with consumer's rights and consumer's protection laws. I defintitly am happy with the situation here. And I understand that in a country where the corporations and not the people run the land things are different ;)curare

Here I have one year hardware warranty. I have no floppy disk reader (about $20 cost) and I need some extra memory (500 megs would cost about $50). And I know I cannot open the box, else I will loose my warranty. And my Windows says that my power supply has problems, so probably I will loose my power supply soon, and I will need my warranty to be still valid.

What you have got to do:If in both the computers a network card is installed, its simple. Go to you local computershop, and ask for a "UTP cross cable" it doesn´t have to be long. Connect the both computers with that cable. Make sure they can see echother (same workgroup works always). And the ip numbers, just do 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2. When you´ve put in these things, they should see eachother. You can check this by pinging to the other computer. Go to start, run, then type "cmd" or "cmd.exe". Now type "ping 10.0.0.2" on computer 1 (ip adress 10.0.0.1), and check if they all come at the other computer. When this is the case, you´ll have to try several times before you´ll make it, but when you did it, just share your c:. If it all works fine, you can connect with your new computer to your old, and get all the files you need from it. Maybe this is a bit hard, then just ask it to someone that knows a lot about it (in your local shop for example)Mark