xisto Community
CarolinaBlues

Help Me: Need To Transfer Files From Old Computer

how about you use the norton ghost?norton ghost creates an image of your hard drive(old) and restores it later. but what i'm not sure about its usage is that does it do it well on other hard disk! i personally think it will, and as i'd heard, it does but not usually properly sometimes. you could take the risk though.. if everything works well, you should have your old computer data exactly as it was on the new one. you might need to install drivers etc..backups arent bad either, you could backup a hard drive on a dvd, but i wonder how many gigs you will be backing up..you could connect the old hard drive to the secondary slave and copy the files directly.. but then it depends if you had any installed programs on the old one, it might not work as the registry values will not be there!you can backup your registries and merge it with the new one, although i wonder if that can be done. i think i can but i've never tried it so cannot give more info about it.but well, try the norton ghost, its pretty fast too!

1) Use a crossover cable,2) Connect it to both pc's,3) Enable file sharing on both pc's4) Name network: WORKGROUP 5) Drag and drop files onto new pc 6) Disable file sharingor just burn the information on cd's and convert it over that way.

file transfer from DOS to Windows

Help Me: Need To Transfer Files From Old Computer

I have an old, old AT machine (80286) with much valuable data on its hard drive. Neither floppy drive works. I want to copy all the files off for modern archiving. The HDD from the AT will not work in the W98 machine (I tried that first). So I thought to use a null modem cable, but I can not get the two machines to talk/connect. The AT runs Procomm; the W98 runs Hyperterminal. It should work, but I get no "answer" from either side. Any help? You will have to be as old as I am even to know what I'm talking about, I guess. :)

JGO

-reply by Jim O'Haver

They don't realize you're not likely to have network cards in a 286 and there wasn't USB back then probably unlikely that you have a CD-ROM drive either. 

So what can you use:  I guess back in the day I probably would suggest something like Laplink.  They offer software that let's you do file transfers over a parallel cable would be my recommendation but you're going to have to find a way of getting the software on your old computer which means getting a working floppy drive.  A parallel attached ZIP drive would work too I'm guessing but again you'll need to get the software on the system first to recognize the drive.