xisto Community
iGuest

I Need Help With Scrolling Issue On My Website I cant figure out how to set the srcoll

my url is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ need help because when you view my website in a smaller window the frames get all messed up like the right frame shows even though it shouldnt and it cuts of the mainframe can you tell me what i need to to?can anyone please visit my website and tell me what i need to do to keep the rightframe from blocking the main frame

my url is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i need help because when you view my website in a smaller window the frames get all messed up like the right frame shows even though it shouldnt and it cuts of the mainframe can you tell me what i need to to?

1064328839[/snapback]

I tried, but it says that your URL can't be found. (I tried with and without http:// and it doesn't work).

Okay ... now that the link's working for me ...What do you mean, the right frame is blocking the main frame? It shows up fine on my computer.Or do you mean that you want to kill the scrollbar? I'm confused.

Mods: please kill my last post - I was wrong. Anyway ...okay, I see what you mean now that I've *seriously* resized the window.I looked at your source code and it looks like you've left the frame widths in a variable state by using an asterisk (*). That might be the problem.Just to see if that really has anything to do with it, I checked my site by re-sizing my window. I use frames too, but I give them specific definitions (20,80 percent is usually what I go with - but I'm only using a nav frame on the left and a main frame on the right, not as many as you're using).So ... I think that you can try definining frame widths with specific percentages. You might have to experiment a little to get what you feel is the right ratio for each frame, but it should work out.

ok the first question I would have to ask in able to help you is:Are you using a CMS and if so which one, or are you just writing all the PHP/HTML/XML/etc yourself?After getting the answer to that question I would then go with Sarah81's suggestion of changing to a specific percentages rather then locked percentages or locked pixel settings due to the fact that different people use different resolution settings on their computers.The only problem with helping you out is that it looks like your using a CMS and as such you might have to reset your CSS which might be a problem.

well i am using dreamweaver to make the actual pages but i used a free template offline which i think used CSSBut anyway how would i set percentages on the the frames and how do i correct the problem with the asterick *.

my url is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i need help because when you view my website in a smaller window the frames get all messed up like the right frame shows even though it shouldnt and it cuts of the mainframe can you tell me what i need to to?

1064328839[/snapback]

Hi, there are different way to do so. If you will take a look at the html code of your frameset for example:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

<html>

<head>

<title>Unbenanntes Dokument</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<frameset rows="*,700,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">

<frame src="top.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize >

<frameset cols="*,960,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">

<frame src="left.htm" name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frame src="f0_00.htm" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="right.htm" name="rightFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

</frameset>

<frame src="bot.htm" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frame src="UntitledFrame-5" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

</frameset>

<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>

</html>

You are able to fix the size of frames:

<frameset rows="*,700,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">

Within thsi row the middle frame is fixed on 700 pixel and the others will fit to the screen.

Maybe this will help to fix your problem. So if you fix the Mainframe and unfix your right frame the problem might be solved!

Maybe you can post your frameset, so I can give you some further advice.

Good luck

Daniel

Firstly, can everybody be patient. It is obvious that he has an account, or he wouldn't have made this post. Therefore, he has a site. The servers were having a bad time, therefore the site, including Asta, were not always available.Dumpster7, you must have sorted your website by this point, as I see no problem.And as a developer, I think you should re-think the use of frames. They are SEO defiant, as the web-bots can't crawl and index the pages properly, therefore giving you a worse result in the SE lists. Your current design does not need the use of frames, infact, it would be better if you just used no frames.I understand that there are times when an IFRAME is needed, but frames, for me and hundreds of other developers, is out of the question. You don't see top professionals using them on their sites, so why should we?

Hi all,Well, the problem I saw with your site, is that the menu is much bigger than it needs to be for its small content. This way, when one takes a small window for your site, a giant nav frame covers the content, which is not appropriate for the content.Using percent might make the problem a little bit smaller, but in general I agree with guy saying that frames shouldn't be used, since they are deprecated by the W3C and bad for many people's view.You can easily implement the permanent parts with serverside includes or PHP, we can show you if you want to.good luck,RubenPS.: I don't know why you would need to post the source code for your frameset, because everyone can see it on your site.