xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

I Need Help Building A Computer. I want to know the steps involved

So i recently decided to get a new computer but i dont have enough money in my budget to but a brand name but i still want computer with decent specs so i can play video games and surf the web. Playing Games and surfing the web is what i would use the computer mostly for with the addition of downloading files every now and then. Please can anyone tell me the materials i need to get started and around how much its going to cost me to build a computer. Also if you know then please post the steps involved or give me a website that is a reliable source.

So i recently decided to get a new computer but i dont have enough money in my budget to but a brand name but i still want computer with decent specs so i can play video games and surf the web. Playing Games and surfing the web is what i would use the computer mostly for with the addition of downloading files every now and then. Please can anyone tell me the materials i need to get started and around how much its going to cost me to build a computer. Also if you know then please post the steps involved or give me a website that is a reliable source.

1064328751[/snapback]

That's a *very* open-ended request. Even if you're very specific on exactly what you want to put into this system, prices on each component vary depending on where you are, where you buy them, *when* you buy them, etc.

One of the best things that you can do before you start trying to build your own system is to understand the basics of how these things work. There's a good reason that people who build computers make pretty good money doing it if they do the job right (it's more complicated than just plugging in a bunch of wires and hitting the power button). Trust me on this one: when I was a teenager, I wrecked a few computers ... and I was only trying to upgrade! I didn't understand enough to do it competently and ended up losing what was at the time a decent computer.

As for what materials you'll need: even that varies. It depends on where you start, what you start with, what you plan to do, etc.

I'd suggest spending some time with Google. You should find a lot of information there. If I were you, I would look at system upgrades - i.e. find information on how to do them. That's a good way to get a basic understanding of how your computer works, but it also gives you hands-on experience if you decide that you want to try, say, installing a larger hard drive.

Or, check your local bookstore. I used to have several pretty good books on upgrading systems. I also had one that went into building systems, which was pretty sweet even though I didn't do anything with it. (Don't ask me for the names of these books: it was years ago and I honestly can't remember.)

Some good places to start:
http://www.newegg.com/ - One of the best places to buy parts online, they have almost anything you can want for far lower prices than anywhere else, and they have some of the best customer service ratings of any store.
http://www.tomshardware.com/ and http://www.anandtech.com/ - Two great review sites to look at things before you buy them, and they have lots of helpful guides.
http://www.tomshardware.com/articles/ - This might just be what you are looking for, a computer with some performance for under $500 US.

Have you ever built a computer before? If not, it would definately be worth doing a little research to be sure you know what you're doing before you have parts strewn all over the floor (I know this from experience ;)) Just take it slow and be careful (don't break anything, keep yourself grounded!) If you have any questions, all the helpful people here can probably answer them.

The best place to go is pricewatch.comI have built the computers in my house pruely using them as my resource.They will find the lowest price from a huge selection of online retailers including the ones mentioned in the post above.You can serach by price limit, brand, spec, etc.It's not like those others such as pricegrabber or bizrate, etc. This site is purely computer components (and they've started to branch in to electronics a little.They seriously find the lowest price whatever parts you need.

If you want to research on latest hardware ..do go to extremetech.com. .. but b4 you go ..seriously if you are not a gamer and just want an OK system to work on ..get a branded system. Its not as good as custom built ..but atleast its not your headache when it goes out. My PC died on me twice in last two year. Thats another thing that my Motherboard company (ie Leadtek ) sucks big time.

well, to start with, you could choose a computer that matches close to your requesments. then, you could deal with the company to make some modifications in the specs, like if you would like to have a faster graphic card, more memory of more processing power or anything! thats what i did for mine, i happen to deal with a good employee from the company, and he did help me out with that. try talking to them, they should do something! and moreover, you can see from the links above and compare the pricesfor gaming i'd recommend a very good graphic card, with 3D support, prefereably higher than 32MB, enough memory like minimum 512MB, and you can choose among the top processors. internet, depending if you have dialup of broadband, you can get something but i dont think they differ too much for quality!

Just an ideaCPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+ (budget minded and gaming means AMD CPU)Mobo: can't realy tell, there are too many to say it now (too late too, almost falling asleep)Memory: 512Mb should be enough for budget gaming (you might use the memory you already have)VGA: something like the 6600GT (cheap card and allows you to run 2 of them in SLI if you have some money later)Case: use the one you already have, maybe a new PSUHDD: use the one you already haverest: use the ones you already have (<- saves a lot of money)

Well it kind of maters what kind of computer are you projecting to build? Such as a strong gaming computer or just a nice one to do work Also you can always go for second hand parts or just use the one you have in your computer already such as your CD Drive monitor RAM speakers mouse keyboard etc. if your on budget you should prob turn to intel AMD your going to have to spend a little extra on a bigger heat sink and fan the one with AMD will suffice if your not aiming for a high-end rig or for gaming get a motherboard with built in audio and graphics this will save you money also try to buy everyhting from one shop usually they will offer discount and also ask if they do a price match so if you can find it cheaper they'll match it but yah all the sites that other people named are good sites expecailly pricewatch.com look at extremetech.com buyers guide that might help you good luck JR

Well building a computer is a very confusing process and if u dont have someone close like a friend that knows how i wouldnt go for the custom built computer, there are alot of sites out there that allow you to get a decent gaming computer without the hassle of buying all ur parts seperate, only one i can think of is alienware right now but that obviously dosnet come on a midsize budget search around or just hire someone to buy and build but i think you could just take the easy route with buying it prebuilt like that online if u dont have the people resources to do for u

Wow. I can't belive I havn't posted here yet....So you Want to make your own computer?And your on a budget. Well the first thing you need is a case. To get that I would say purchase it at either of these sites: Ebay, Pricewatch.com, Tigerdirect, Colorcases, Coolcases, or newegg.Next, You need A mobo (Buy that before the power supply) I suggest going to Pricewatch for that, Go under motherboard, for a cheap realiable motherboard I would go for a Nforce 4(Most Nforce 4s have a pci express card, and thats what you need for the better type of the video cards, Not to menion the Nforce mobos, have built in nforce 4 video card which will help your gaming needs until you get enough money to buy a gforce 7800 gtx).Then buy the powersupply. For that go to new egg, You wont really need too much information on the powersupply other than what kind of case it is made for (Go for an ATX case & a power supply)Next you want a Cpu, I suggest AMD, dosen't have to be a 64, but it helps. There I would look at either Newegg or Pricewatch.Next video card, Make sure you have the right slot in your mobo for these. Pci- Pci Xpress - or AGP. For video card i would go Pricewatch, Tigerdirect or Newegg.Then comes the whole, Cable, HD, CD drive and other stuff like that. Those I would suggest Pricewatch and Tigerdirect again.

Dude, go to Dell.com and buy the cheapest pc they have, this will fit your needs. On the same tiken, you don't have to put it together and it comes with a warranty, not to mention all the peripherials needed.Typically I support building your own, but here lately between bad parts and greed, for what you're looking for, just go dell...

NO, NEVER GO TO DELL EVEN THERE XPS SUCKS. Sorry about that, I just have to deny everything that Judge just said. Dell's last A really short time, And usually over heat.Overall I have to say Dells' suck.