xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jguy101

Xbox Linux

The specs for Xbox have always been low, yet for some reason, the graphics quality is high, personally, I don't understand how this is so.Anyway, putting Linux on an XBox, may have legal issues. If Microsoft have the grounds to, they can take this organisation and the Linux kernal Company to court. Then where would Linux be?Personally, I would not like Linux on an XBox, although I do not have one, it is still better to know that my machine is as-is. Putting an OS into a games console could have effects on the performance.

I would just go for the Playstation 2's Linux kit. Gives you SVGA output and a keyboard. I think it would be kind of a treat running linux on the MIPS processor inside the PS2.. I would absolutely love just having a Linux-equipped PS2 as a computer...Looks much better than a beige box..a lot smaller too.

what about Linux on the Cell CPU inside the playstation3. (Ps3 hard drive will ship with linux pre-installed)

Anyway, putting Linux on an XBox, may have legal issues. If Microsoft have the grounds to, they can take this organisation and the Linux kernal Company to court. Then where would Linux be?

I dont think a hadware company can decide what software can and cannot be leghally installed on there hard drives.

unless of course this software itself is illegal, for example copy protection circumvention etc etc.

Also, there is no money or company. MS could demand that they stop the Xbox ports, if they broke any laws, but i think that is all

As I understand it, XBOX, being a Microsoft product, will contain en embedded OS, to make it work. Now, this embedded OS will be by Microsoft. As Microsoft are the sole propierters to XBOX, I would think putting Linux onto a Microsoft product would be illegal.Linux is funded by many organisations and lone donators, therefore, it essentially is a company as the money must be going somewhere. There are millions of dollars in the Linux program, and it will grow.------moving on-------I personally use Emulators on the PC in order to play games that have been made for the PS2, XBOX or GameCube. Although, I do this in a blue-moon occasion. I finder it a lot cheaper than buying the console.

Very nice post. the original post is about using a game machine as a computer, putting an OS on it. And guy suggests exactly the opposite, using an amulator under the PC OS un order to emulate a game machine !So, are you using Linux on a game machine, or do you emulate a game machine on your Linux system ? Let's vote !

I say use Linux on a game machine. After all, it's much cheaper than a computer. You just need some XBox-to-USB cables... :P

Anyway, Guy, it would void your warranty, but I doubt it'd be illegal...and besides, one of the methods allows you to replace the IDE drives. ;)

There are millions of dollars in the Linux program

Sorry for the Off topic....

But Linux is developed by a handfull of programmers, who work for free, recieving no money.
and give the work away for free download on kernel.org.

There's lots of money in servers, and mobile phones, and other devices which use linux.

Linux is like oxygen, its pricless, worth a fre billion lives. but there is no money in selling oxygen, it freeee, given away.

I once saw a tv survey that asked a few thousand americans if they thought flag burning was legal. somthing like 45% said yes. People are a lot more *free* than they often assume.

Can you really see yourself being arrested for using a free alternative ?

BACK ON TOPIC.

I would definatly say that its better to run a native OS than an emulated OS.
Always Always Always.

Emulation slows things down, Plus Computer sold purely for games like Xbox and Play Station tend to be cheaper.

Company's Like Sony and Microsoft dont mind losing money when they sell the hardware, because they know they can make it all back with the expensive games software.

guy, there is NO LINUX KERNEL COMPANY because LINUX ISN'T OWNED BY ANYONE. Linus Torvalds just hold the trademark because he was the original user of the word.Putting Linux on XBOX is NOT illegal. There wasn't any TOS or whatever to use the XBOX. You just void your warranty and don't get any support.xboxrulz

Wow a new version of a Microsoft X-box. ;) I'm not really to keen on the idea myself. Okay, the specifications sound amazing but why would Microsoft, make a product with the name "Linux"? It just doesn't fit. Plus, I don't think anyone's gonna bother getting the Microsoft X-box Linux if the new Microsoft X-box 360 is coming out. I know that for me, i'm just gonna get the 360!But for those who don't want to get the 360 it would be cool to have a kind of upgrade version of the X-box.

I guess he didn't even click the link, just read the topic title, and maybe my first post....

Shadow X, XBox Linux is a project by some Linux fans that allows you to run Linux on an XBox. It's not a new XBox version coming out with the 360. ;)

And, on theyr site, they claim that "The Xbox is a legacy-free PC by Microsoft that consists of an Intel Celeron 733 MHz CPU, an nVidia GeForce 3MX, 64 MB of RAM, a 8/10 GB hard disk, a DVD drive and 10/100 Ethernet. As on every PC, you can run Linux on it."This seams to mean that they already verified that they have right to use te box packaged by Microsoft. And they also say that they are able to help you installing Linux with a full step-by-step program. This looks like a very professional thing.Unfortunately I have no Xbox personnally, so I cannot try it.And, of course, if I had money to by a Xbox, I would not take the risk to do this... I would rather use somebody else's Xbox to test this, being so sorry if I crash the box...

Thanks for clearing up that there are no known leaglity issues. As for the Linux company, I did not mean it in any direct way. For example, you could say the people that develop Ubuntu Linux, Mandrake Linux, SuSe Linux, etc, would be classed as organisations (even if there is no set base, a collection of people working to one goal is in part or whole of the characterisation of an organisation).

Shadow X, XBOX Linux is NOT written and definitely NOT endorsed by Microsoft. When did Microsoft ever support Linux?

xboxrulz

1064328534[/snapback]

Actually... They do a little bit in thier commercial services. ;) Check out:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It will allow you to use unix (and linux) software on windows :P

Ok, before everyone jumps on my case, no I'm not endorsing windows or microsoft. I'm strongly anti-microsoft. I only use microsoft products when I have to, or when it's just more convient (i.e. I'm building a website, and need to makesure it displays correctly for win users.)

-YungBlood