xisto Community
Jguy101

Which Antivirus, Antispyware & Firewall You Use?

I use AVG free, avast! Home Edition, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender. Despite my having all these applications, I rarely scan. XD It's not that I don't care about my computer's security (I almost get a heart attack when I do catch a virus, which is not too often), but it's just that I never have time to do a full system scan. It takes over half an hour to do a scan with one program, and being the overworked teenager that I am, I don't have that time to spare. On the issue of firewalls, I use Sygate Personal Firewall, but there never seems to be new updates (or if it does, it just never tells me that its updating itself). There won't be any new ones versions though as Symantec acquired Sygate, so I have to get a new firewall before new viruses attack! Oh. And I have the built-in Windows Firewall thing. It's just there. I don't pay too much attention to it. XDSerena

I just set my computer to scan overnight. You must sleep at some point during a 24 hour period, right? I've got nearly a terabyte of storage, but it only takes 2 or 3 hours to scan, and i set it to start when i go to bed.

I use: Antivirus: Pc-Cillin 2006Firewall : Pc-Cillin FirewallAntispyware-software: Spybot-Search and destroy and AVG Antispyware(free version)My computer is running fine. I once got a rootkit virus which i removed with professional help. My pc got infected because i hadnt updated my Java on the computer. So always update your computer softwares!

My computer is running fine. I once got a rootkit virus which i removed with professional help. My pc got infected because i hadnt updated my Java on the computer. So always update your computer softwares!

How does not updating Java stop your antivirus from catching viruses???

...Norton is great for your grandmother. It will find EVERYTHING. Since this I think I will install AVG and Kerio. Wish me luck.

This is in response to my previous post about trying AVG and Kerio. After some research I found that AVG is apparently no longer free or at least they gave that feel (http://www.avg.com/de-de/homepage).

As of February 18th, 2007, AVG 7.1 Free Edition is no longer supported. If you are still using AVG 7.1 Free Edition, please take action now to remain safe by downloading the new AVG 7.5 Free Edition. Do not leave your self unprotected. Click here to upgrade now!.

I decided to go with Avast! (https://www.avast.com/de-de/index) which I already had on two of my other machines. As for Kerio, I had some problems as well. It looks like Kerio has been bought out by Sunbelt Software. For now it is still free but it was buggy. I had several applications that just plain stopped working even though I explicitly allowed them access to the Internet. I also started to experience some system stability problem such as my machine locking up. Once I uninstalled Kerio, everything went back to normal. I next found Comodo firewall at https://personalfirewall.comodo.com/. I had never heard of it but several reviews were promising so I decided to give it a try.
It has been a week since I ditched Norton and installed Avast! and Comodo on my main machine. So far I am very pleased and I did not have to shell out any money. I can now recommend both programs.

Kaspersky AntivirusAd-AwareZone-AlarmThis trio has never let me down before. They always detect and get rid of everything that gets my pc. Although I don't use them anymore cause I made the switch to linux, they still do a great job on the other comps in the family.

I tryed many antiviruses and antyspywares, but I found the best solution:

using browser Opera instead of IE, NN or Mozila!!!

And I use wireless Router as firewall. That's all!...

Having this I do not have any problems with viruses and spy-es... no special antivirus software!

I think experienced professionals can also look at active processes on thier PC (there are special programs for this!) -

spy processes can be defined and their sources can be removed.

However, this method cannot be recommended for beginners!!!

Edited by java-area (see edit history)

I am currently using avast! Home Edition on my desktop computer along with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro which I did not purchase but just got the serial somewhere :) They both work very well for me but avast! is like Symantec products, hogging much of your memory. Sygate, on the other hand, uses only 8MB and you can actually terminate some services on avast!'s control panel such as P2P Shield or whatsoever. You don't really need it anyway since I don't really see the point of using it when you already have real-time protection by its Standard Shield. As for antispyware, I am using Microsoft Antispyware Beta, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition. I also have a hardware firewall in my 2Wire HomePortal modem.
On my laptop, I use AntiVir Personal Edition, a reliable antivirus that doesn't take much of your memory away from you together with the Windows XP SP2 built-in firewall. The antispyware bundle is the same, excluding Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition. I do not run Warez P2P on this computer since it's only a laptop and I don't expect it to blow up in my face...heat is a problem since I think AMD processors heat up too fast in laptops.

Well i use AVG anti virus protection which i recently downloaded this week because i had problems installing norton. And i also you kiero firewall wich i dont think i have evr hasd any problems with it always seem to be the anti-virus portection in my case but it could be my firewall aswell am not to sure

I use AVG on my home pc, laptop and my office. It works fine, but it failed to remove a certain virus back then, that was last year though, which I had no other choice but to reformat my laptop because the virus was causing too much damage.