xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Recommend A Cms For Newspaper

best CMS for newspaper page:  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why not use the real thing?

Recommend A Cms For Newspaper

I had enough of all those mambo jambos php cms, they are all unstable, unsafe and kill cpu resources, may I suggest that you use a genuine Perl CMS like the one from WebAPP http://www.web-app.net/

Jason

-reply by Jason

Newspaper CMS - EzyMediaRecommend A Cms For Newspaper

Hi.

We are a community newspaper in Canberra, Australia. I'm an avid online surfer when I need solutions, and these guys were the best bang for buck I found after plenty of research. EzyMedia is probably worth checking out.  

-reply by John

ew content management systems have been formed as open-source projects, among which are CMS Made Simple, Joomla, Drupal, and WordPress.For a newspaper that needs to be able to select articles to be laid out on the home page, I would recommend using Drupal or Joomla. WordPress does a pretty good job with displaying the first set of a sequentially ordered list of articles. WordPress has a lower learning curve and is quick and easy to work with while Joomla does require you to be more structure. There is a lot that you can do with Joomla without writing excessive code though. Drupal is a module content management system and at its core does not even include a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get editor for posts. You can, however, insert HTML tags manually to apply any necessary formatting.You might want to have a go at using commercial CMS systems too, which are optimized for performance. The Feather CMS system, for example, creates static HTML files that it serves visitors to help improve performance.

Hi!I've found Drupal to be pretty good with managing multi-lingual websites, though I have no clue if it supports Macedonian. I have used it for implementing a website with two languages, one that was a left-to-right language, and another that was a right-to-left language. Themes that were built entirely with CSS with bi-directional text in mind worked perfectly well with the multilingual theme as the sidebar menus would swap around without requiring any intervention on the part of the webmaster/site administrator.I haven't had a chance to explore Joomla to the extent of supporting multilingual websites yet. WordPress doesn't have the capability to support multilingual websites, but it is possible to work it into the system with a little development (or rather, a customization).

Well drupal and joomla have steep learning curve in comparison to wordpress and some custom solutions. I'm aware of some commercial applications where people are using it for group blogging, corporate blogging and newspaper site. There are some sites where wordpress is used. But i think wordpress will be enough for most of the newspaper cms out there. Though drupal and joomla have many features and multi-lingual capability, those features you can get from wordpress as well. I don't know if there is any feature that is missing in wordpress and is used heavily in drupal and joomla. I'm not sure why you said that wordpress has no capability of multi-lingual site, i see many blogs in multi-lingual way. There are some plugins and modules available out there that makes it easy to build wordpress based multilingual site. In fact customizing and extending wordpress is much easier in comparison to drupal and joomla so i think if anyone new to cms there should atleast give a shot to wordpress before learning unreasonably heavy cms like joomla, mambo and drupal.

we ditched Drupal for the LVSYS systemRecommend A Cms For Newspaper

We ditched out drupal for the LVSYS CMS. Check them out https://www.lvsys.com/ ; the site does not provide that much information because they're pretty new but their software is seriously over the top. It's been working great for us. We used to have a drupal based CMS for our newspaper and it was just too cumbersome to maintain. The problem with drupal is that you spend a lot of money with programmers customizing it the way you want. Basically, for a newspaper, you need ads, articles, categories, photo galleries, event calendars, business directories, and some ecommerce. Wordpress and drupal are just not realistic for us. The LVSYS system is a commercial and hosted solution (support is fantastic and very responsive) but I know they can run it on your machines too. It provides all that you need for a paper and is fairly reasonable.

The system has some hot features. My two favorites are the image management, you can upload multiple photos directly to an article in one file select swoop, and the system resizes them properly - it's cut down our editing time greatly. And their "form builder" system: it's all drag and drop, you can setup forms in a second and collect survey information (we love it for polls), or collect files (yes! it's been so easy to manage request meterial from our advertisers this way)  Plus, they have this archive system that you can purchase to help you move articles from your print process to online, and vice-versa. The article plugin has all the functionality you would expect: title, summary, body, view count,  but it can also add a ton more info. 

Give it a shot. 

-reply by Henry

Best CMS for running a newspaper or magazine websiteRecommend A Cms For Newspaper

Often when you're looking for a CMS to run a publication website, you forget about all the other pages and forms you'll need to run the site.

The best CMS is ROAR Online Publication Software, put out by Lions Light Corp. They have an online demo at http://www.lionslight.com/demo/

ROAR is the entire website. The staff interface is really easy to use. If you've got a small staff but want a big newspaper/magazine website, it's hands down the best. The list of features is at the bottom of this page: http://www.lionslight.com/products/

I think Lions Light is still running a half price special, but you'll have to call them to ask.

Good luck.

Bruce

Bit richRecommend A Cms For Newspaper

That lvsys system isVERY EXPENSIVE!! What is your newspaper website Henry? We got http://www.theword.com.au/ for $295 plus $27 per month hosting, not the starter price of $2500 at lvsys. I couldn't see anything there that we don't have, so in a conversation heavily tilted to cheap opensource solutions, seems like a strange recommendation. 

-reply by John