xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
minnieadkins

Is The Server Down Or Is It My Account ?

I keep trying to connect to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (my web hosting account) and it says it can't connect. Just curious if it's down? Can anyone else access it. I deleted the index.php or .html file, but I haven't uploaded anything to it yet. I have sufficient credits. Any ideas? I read a previous topic about the hosts file, but why would that help? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and just a curious question. Does Xisto plan on upgrading to php 5.x and/or apache 2.x soon?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

well it was down for me too, but now it seems to be working..anyway, why would you want an upgrade to php5 or apache2 ? :) apache 1.3.3 is stable and php4 is enough for a lot of things.

I have tried Apache2 on my own machine (localhost) and it for some reason decides to turn itself off which is strange. As quatrux pointed out, they are both stable (original versions) and I think it would be best to leave them for the time being. There is no application out there that needs PHP 5 that can't work on PHP4 (I am being general here).Changing the Apache to 2 may have no obvious effects.

well it was down for me too, but now it seems to be working..

anyway, why would you want an upgrade to php5 or apache2 ? :) apache 1.3.3 is stable and php4 is enough for a lot of things.

1064327969[/snapback]

It's still down for me, and I have yet to see it up. I'm confused as to what would be causing the problem. Maybe the server's down again. I don't know.

Php4 is enough for a lot of things, but one of the projects I was working for in one of my classes involved creating objects. Hence, the use of php5. My professor gave me some space on his server, but I was just wondering if we would be seeing php5 in the the near future. Doesn't matter to me, but it would be nice. Apache 2 doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. Just a new web server.

I have apache 2 and php5 and mysql 4.x (mysql 5 is out now right?) at home. It took some tweaking with apache 2 and php 5 to get it running, but it works fine now. I find apache 1.3 works much better with php. There's a method I use on the campus computers when I install php5 + apache 2 that works fairly well. Move the .ini and all required .dll's and extensions into the apache directory ( usually "c:\program files\apache group\apache2\" i think ) That's a last resort to get it functioning properly for me. I find that the PHPIniDir= (don't know if thats the correct caps) path doesn't work right for me. Even if I declare the path into my environment variables, that still doesn't do the trick. My professor said he "fought" with php5 and apache2 to get it running on his server. It works fine now though.

It is up for me..at localhost i have apache2 to, used to have php5, but changed back to php4 that it would be like on most online servers and don't think that i will change to mysql5 any time soon, unless it gets more popular than the current most popular used versions.:)

Okay, it's up now. I don't know what the problem was. Firewall was off, and tried it on both my computer and my wife's computer. (Both dial-up) Maybe I'm just checking it during the times of matinence. I put a index.php page up so at least I've done something to the site. I think it's in the rules, that if you don't upload anything your account can get suspended.

err it is down again, seems it is only up for some part of the day.. will this continue or will be solved with time ? I checked my account and others, they all do not work :)

I have been informed that current server stress has been due to the number of people requesting the statistics of their sites. Please be patient, and remember, as I and other members/mods/admin have pointed out, it is a free service, and the hosts are doing all they can to keep it running, whilst maintaining their income.

Thanks for the information guy. I didn't know if it was an error on my part, or if the server was down. The service is great, especially for what we pay for it. :) I love Xisto, and I completely understand that it takes a lot to host so many sites. They should be (and I would be) more dedicated to making sure that their paid hosting services are functioning properly. Sorry for so many posts on this topic, but I was just curious. Just want to say thanks to Xisto for providing us this service, and this great forum to share all kinds of information with one another. It's a great resource to have.