xisto Community
kenobi

DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs Could it be bad SW or is it HW?

Vista is causing the problem.DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

Guys, I think Windows Vista is causing the problem. I have a multi-boot system with XP SP3 x86, Vista SP2 x64 and Windows 7 x64. Under Vista, My DVD-RW stopped reading DVD movies, but not data DVDs, which I guess relates to the size of the files on the disc, then I tried it on Windows 7, and it just worked alright! So there must be something wrong with Vista, even with SP2. Anybody noticed the same thing? Got any solutions?

-reply by M.H.

Vista is causing the problem.DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

Guys, I think Windows Vista is causing the problem. I have a multi-boot system with XP SP3 x86, Vista SP2 x64 and Windows 7 x64. Under Vista, My DVD-RW stopped reading DVD movies, but not data DVDs, which I guess relates to the size of the files on the disc, then I tried it on Windows 7, and it just worked alright! So there must be something wrong with Vista, even with SP2. Anybody noticed the same thing? Got any solutions?

-reply by M.H.

Windows 7 just started to behave like Vista.DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

In my last post, I said that the DVD-RW worked alright on Windows 7; but now scratch that! It just started to behave like Vista! So, the only winner around is XP! I don't really know what's wrong with those two OSes, but it could be bad drivers provided by Microsoft and so far, haven't found a patch or anything that fixes the problem. So if anybody finds something, it'll be greatly appreciated to let us know.

-reply by M.H.

I Think ItDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

I Too Had Installed Alcohol 120 Before My Combo Drive Stopped Working.

But I Need Help.

Its Still Not Working!

-reply by Smit Patel

1) You should go to your manufacturer/oem/computer guy's web site and see if there is a patch specific driver for your optical drive.2) Also check if there is patch or more recent software for your Roxio, Sonic, DVD software suite.3) Check if your operating system has compatiblity bugs with the specific model or the software in #2 (above)4) Maybe you've installed or upgraded something recently... hope it wasn't one of those 'play any video format under the sun' downloadable codec collection packs. If you installed one chances are you'll lose multimedia functionality when you uninstall.5) If it was related to Microsoft updates, DirectX, or some form of Microsoft media technology... try searching there support site at microsoft/knowledge base.6) If it seems it's hardware related. Lightly compress air the drive when it's open *puff* *puff* and use a BD, DVD, CD cleaner specfic for the type of lense in your drive.7) check your power cables, ide/ata cables, sata cables, jumpers if need be, and make sure your power supply is not overloaded.8) If all else fails you can try to see if your PC can boot to a CD via BIOS setting. Download and burn a live cd from another pc (don't matter what kind), then boot with it in your PC. If it runs fine, then you have a problem with your OS.9) Only thing you can try is reinstall your optical software suite, if that don't work - try a system restore, if that don't work then you can always back up you data and resort to a factory system restore if your setup has one.10) If that don't work buy a new optical drive. Or you could just swap out your drive with a spare to rule out going through the 10 above steps.

Actually I had the same problem with my LG DVD writer. You should just try to shift the cables connecting to your dvd writer. Change it from the slave to the master cable and everything should be alright.