xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ronalddarcey

Share Your Experience Of Voice Over IP Have you used it? How is it?

I have seen a lot of adds and heard a lot of talk about VOIP. I was wondering if anyone has actually used this and what they think about it. I know there are a few variations of the product like home service and business service. I guess my real question is does the quality suffer any because it is packet based or is it really seamless like they make it sound. What are you experiences with this?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

VoIP is nothing but what almost every Chat/IM client is offering you as Voice Chat these days - one of the best in the whole bandwagon is Skype. I haven't used any in recent times - but there used to be a very good one known as MediaRing, which I actively used about 4-5 years back.Sound Quality was crystal clear - no problem with that. The voice came in a steady stream too - no breaks, jerks or static. Only factor you had to live up to - is that once you spoke or the other person speaks there'd be a time lag about 1-3 seconds before the words start flowing in - kind of like the delay that you sometimes experience with long distance calls. So you got to SPEAK and then WAIT for the other person to complete his sentence and ONLY then speak again. If you try to interject in between, the resultant sound is pretty much chaotic, but this might have got better with the more recent ones.Also nowadays they have the VoIP phones, which allow you to make calls directly by plugging them into your Broadband link - no need for a computer or any software..Anyone else to share his/her experience regarding this ??

My mother uses VoIP when speaking to her friends in America. There is a lag time of about 1-2 seconds, but I think that is solely down to distance. However, the conversations are sustainable and almost sound natural. The voice is a little off, but in time it will get better. She uses Yahoo! Messenger.The quality only suffers when there is a problem.

voip is great...i use skype and i have no problems w/e so ever with talking to friends on it...i can mute them, call others skype, talk to more than one person at a time and of course call peoples houses (duh) and the people can call from their house to your skype as well. although i havent quite used it over such long distances to see if there were any problems but i have t1 so i cant imagine there being that much lag...but still i love skype and i will never go back to a regular phone again...it is free as long as you have internet...no higher charges for long distance or paying for how many minutes you are on .... i love iti recomend downloading skype and trying it yourselflatest version of skype 1.4.0.78

I use it quite often, in work, to tal with family and friends...I'm allways travelling so it quite usefull and I'm very satisfied with it. By the way i use Skype.

And in that topic I'm currently working on a paper about VoIP and I'm going to do another version of that article to publish in my site, problably after tomorrow.

If you are interest In VoIP and all its 'insides' take a look ;)
The site is:
http://www.ask4info.pt.vu/404.php

I myself am a Vonage subscriber, and I'm kind of dependant on using it to talk to my girlfriend, who lives in another country than I. Other than when I have torrents downloading or such, the sound quality is actually just as good as the normal telephone lines here, and has no delay that I've noticed, other than while big downloads are going on one of the computers. I have had it for about six months and have been very pleased with the quality (and the price as well).

I live in Portugal and work from Home, selling products to clients in germany... I use skype for my business everyday, it´s cheap 2cent/min almost worldwide. Skypeusers call for free to each other in a top quality of sound. I´m happy wth it ;)