xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Custom Windows Boot Screen how

I could write a little tutorial in couple of sentences, using others made software, but not how to make your own.. :blink:Get Stardock Boot Skin software and as I remember it is free, you can find it in download dot com and wincustomize dot com, find a skin you want and install the software and choose it. :mellow:

A Linux user looking for ways to set up boot logo, which I hear is only applicable on Windows. Makes sense! :)Anyway, Quatrux, BootSkin only works on Win2k and WinXP. Naturally, the same goes for StyleXP and ThemeXP, except only on a handful occasions. So if you, OragnicBMX, are using Win2k or WinXP, these are the ones for you. But if you're using an earlier version, here is what to do... 1. Open a new BMP file, with 256-colors and 320x400 pixels. 2. Design what you'd like to see in your start-up, waiting, and "it's now safe" logos. 3. Save your files as logo.sys, logow.sys, and logos.sys, respectively. 4. Put the logo.sys file on the root of your Windows partition, and the other two inside the Windows folder itself.If you don't want to do it yourself, then search for these logos on the Web. You'll find dozens of them. The placement is the same for the files you download, too.Now, when you power up, restart, or shutdown your computer, you'll see the effects.I hope that helped. :)

Hmmm... I'm not very familiar with changing the boot screen but I've done it once before. I've put a custom picture and replaced it.I think you have to go to the Windows directory and change a file that has some weird extension to it. But I'm sure other programs could do it way better than that :)Have fun

1.  Open a new BMP file, with 256-colors and 320x400 pixels.

2.  Design what you'd like to see in your start-up, waiting, and "it's now safe" logos.

3.  Save your files as logo.sys, logow.sys, and logos.sys, respectively.

4.  Put the logo.sys file on the root of your Windows partition, and the other two inside the Windows folder itself.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then search for these logos on the Web.  You'll find dozens of them.  The placement is the same for the files you download, too.

Now, when you power up, restart, or shutdown your computer, you'll see the effects.

I hope that helped.  :)

1064326322[/snapback]

There is a downside to that, however, which is that it's risky if your files aren't exactly 100% correct. Changing anything in windows that has to do with startup or registries or anything like that should only happen after you've backed up important stuff, or are able to troubleshoot and resolve errors through the rescue mode. If the boot file is improperly written, you could have problems with constant rebooting, never getting past the screen.

What I have done though is install bootskin from stardock applications. it's freeware, and there are tons of available bootskins. then to make my own i simple edited one of the available ones, and saved it as a different file. Then preview it in the bootskin preview windows, and troubleshoot any mistakes u made. All you need for that is an editing program that can save to 8-bit bmp color mode.

If this makes the boot time longer, how much so? I mean, if it's only an extra second or two it doesnt matter. But if it's gonna be a minute or something extreme like that .. not worth the time.

Ok then thanks everyone but im not gonna use up my pc running skinning programs becasue i personally dont think it is worth it. I was just wondering because i was on some website and it was offering downloads of boot splashes i guessed it was just about replacing certain files with others in c/windows or something but no problem - thanks anyway.p.s. i still run windows but i am a linux user to. no point throwing away something ive already paid for - it has some advantages like premier pro.

A little off-topic, but still related:Anyone find a Windows Vista Theme compatible with Windows 98/Windows 98 Second Edition? I'm looking for one currently but I can't seem to find any :DIf you find one, please let me know!

I would not suggest BootSkins, ThemeXP or StyleXP. I have had them before and it slows down your computer boot time, and really lags it up. Your better off just keeping it the normal boot screen. I strongly suggest you keep the normal one.-Kyle

I remember that you can do this manually on Windows 95, 98, 2000, and ME by going to the System / System32 / Windows folder and changing a boot file. That is, you change it to a .bmp extension and opening up with paint - or you can change the bootscreen to another image by changing the name with the correct extension. I don't know what it is but I think it's something like .sysDunno

How to change Windows XP boot screenCustom Windows Boot Screen

You can create a boot screen with paint or any other general picture creator.

First, Create your picture (It can only be 16 colors or less)

Once you create the picture, save it to the Windows Directory as boot.Bmp

Next, right click on My Computer or go into control panel and double-click on system, or if you want to be like a pro, press the windows key and Pause/Break keys on your keyboard.

Once you are in the system properties, click advanced and under startup and recovery, click settings.

You will then see default operating system. Under that click the edit button (this will edit your boot.Ini file, so you may want to back it up) go all the way to the end of the line that reads something similar to:  multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect ( this may be slightly different for you)

At the end of that line put a space and then type /bootlogo /noguiboot and then save.

You have now created and implemented your own boot screen/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley4.Gif 

-reply by Nick

Answere to OrganicbmxCustom Windows Boot ScreenActualy, the best programm (that doesn't slow your computer down at all), is desktop architect. It can replace the start up images for windows 98 and is great for people who worry about messing up there systems.-reply by Roaming Answerer

You might like to try TuneUp Utility 2009 works fine for Windows 7

Install >>Customize Windows>> Tuneup Styler>>Select image.>>Done

You can get a copy of this off my site at

breakaway.Cc/eCommerce/index;html goto the software section and Windows 7 Utilities

Regards

-reply by and.C.Taylor