xisto Community
qwijibow

KDE Or Gnome. Which Is The Desktop Of Your Choice and why ? (screenies welcome )

Yeah!!! It can't!! You said so: they could develop an option to compile firefox using qt!! Also, I'm using that junk thing that enables gtk apps to use the QT theme (not so cool as qt. things like those keramik animated progress bar aren't animated!! :unsure: ). But still is somewhat slow aside of an pure qt app.

If i have to use a graphical user interface then personally i prefer GNOME over KDE because when i started my RHCE training since then i m using the GNOME . I think Gnome is more minimalistic then KDE, while KDE likes to let you know that it has all these cool features by putting lots and lots of stuff on the toolbars. Gnome has a more consistent human interface. KDE does a few things better (bundled apps, burning CDs).Gnome is more simple and uses less resources and in my opinion GNOME is more STABLE and faster than KDE.But normally i uses command line interface rather than graphical user interface. regards Abhay

Edited by abhay (see edit history)

KDE has more graphical tools that are helpful to new users... in Knoppix and Mepis, there a "browse as root" button that lets you browse around and make a few folder changes as root (or administrator) while still logged in as a user. This is helpful to new users who may be a little intimidated by having to type commands to make administrative changes. You can, of course, in Gnome create a launcher similar to this, but I've never seen a Gnome default desktop on a distro that includes this button. You can actually make the entire taskbar transparent (I've found in Gnome you can make only certain parts of it transparent). KDE also offers you the option to change your settings to be a certain style (Mac-style or Windows-style, for example) that will affect the way windows and keyboard shortcuts behave

Well I have used both in the past....and when I first started using linux I was using KDE (because that is what a lot of the distros that I first tried had).Recently however, I have been sticking with Gnome, as I have just found that it seems to run a little better than KDE on my system (maybe it is just my computer), but I just find that it is a little bit quicker, and it also seems to have just a little bit of an edge on the graphics side of things (with how it looks).

I tried - hard - to love GNOME. Just wouldn't happen.

Without tip-toeing around the matter, Linus Torvalds made his preference in the GNOME vs. KDE matter quite clear on the GNOME-usability list:

"I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE. This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do. Please, just tell people to use KDE." Also, "Gnome seems to be developed by interface nazis, where consistently the excuse for not doing something is not 'it's too complicated to do', but 'it would confuse users'."

Update: More of the discussion here.

before this, i was used suse with KDE, then im try out fedora core 6 with gnome.. the desktop quite same..but Gnome more user friendly even there must be very slow than KDE.. For me, i prefer KDE better than Gnome coz speed is more important.. my laptop only using ram 256.. so that, if i use gnome, my laptop will be too slow and will be hang so many time..:blink:

before this, i was used suse with KDE, then im try out fedora core 6 with gnome.. the desktop quite same..but Gnome more user friendly even there must be very slow than KDE.. For me, i prefer KDE better than Gnome coz speed is more important.. my laptop only using ram 256.. so that, if i use gnome, my laptop will be too slow and will be hang so many time..:D

:blink: KDE is faster? Current KDE is faster? I used KDE and Gnome previosly, think it was a year back and Gnome is faster, that's how I feel. KDE has more graphics compare to Gnome. Of course if you are using widgets, then KDE is a lot better. So which distro you using for KDE?

i dont use linux all that much anymore but i much rather KDE over gnome.it seems to me quicker. it also has way better programs and it looks heaps better then gnome!i also like... wots it called... ummmm... xfce or something like that, lol. i think thats wot its called anyway.i hate gnome, its just boring to me for some reason.