xisto Community
plot

How Do I Chmod Files On Astahost ?

ftp is just another way to upload things.it isnt faster than the file manager (well for me anyway) and i only use it to upload big things (like a cms or a forum)i recomend core ftp anyway if your gonna use ftp, ive been using it for years!

Why don't you log in with a shell (for example putty) and chmod from command line? The otherway is to use Total Commander client - there you will have a command line text box (default at the bottom) from where you can execute command provided you have the premission therefore.

Why don't you log in with a shell (for example putty) and chmod from command line?
The otherway is to use Total Commander client - there you will have a command line text box (default at the bottom) from where you can execute command provided you have the premission therefore.

You are right, "chmod -R ugo+rwx ." would do the job.
Unfortunately, here at Xisto, the free hosting plan does not provide command line login, putty in ssh mode is included only in the paid plans (I know that, my ssh account just disappeared).

you can use a ftp client... it's more easy! =)you can loose something or do something wrong using commands.some ftp clients: - WS FTP- Cute FTP- FlashFXPand much more.. try to search for someone =P

I know you can do it from cPanel, because I've done it there. I haven't used ftp here, so this is just a general comment. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the websites here are configured so that an anonymous ftp login is prevented from changing permissions. After all, if that is permitted, anyone who finds the ftp website can make files there writeable, and add viruses to them, for example. :)

I know you can do it from cPanel, because I've done it there. I haven't used ftp here, so this is just a general comment.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the websites here are configured so that an anonymous ftp login is prevented from changing permissions. After all, if that is permitted, anyone who finds the ftp website can make files there writeable, and add viruses to them, for example. :)

Of course, at Xisto, you use ftp with your name and your password (the same name and password as for your cpanel). If the name or the password is not correct, Xisto's ftp server does not allow you to to connect.
I see that anonymous ftp is also allowed at Xisto. However, this account is useless, because it reaches an empty folder, you can only upload in the "incoming" subfolder. And the ".ftpquota" shows that Xisto protects himself from anonymous ftp's overloads.