xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adris72

Mambo Aka Joomla One of the best open source softwares

Mambo is in my opinion one of the best open source Content Management Systems. It has a incredible number of components and modules that makes it very flexible and powerful.

All you need to instal mambo is a hosting that supports php and mysql. After the instalation the whole site can be managed from the backend for any person without any knowdlegde of html, design or programming.

Last month the developers changed Mambo name to Joomla. You can find more information in their official website https://www.joomla.org/

If you are thinking to use a CMS for your website and you don't have money to buy one, I would strongly recommend to download and try Joomla!

The only downfall with these CMS I have is their ability to product XHTML 1.0 Strict or even better XHTML 1.1 so with every CMS, I've literally had to pull them apart and clean it up.They have many hacks inside the CSS file to cater for numerous problems they've encountered along the way for different browsers, which is also a good thing to know about when you're developing websites.As for the real reason for Mambo and Joomla, is because of the disagreement between Miro and the developers (who wanted to keep this project open source), also the trademark name. Essentially a good idea that they split from it.Cheers,MC

I have seen a bit on mambo, and it looks very good, is it better than php-nuke? I mean, to php-nuke you find very many themes and things like that, modules and everything, haven't seen anything to mambo, is it anything? I am looking for a cmc-system to my clan site, so I am just asking.. B)

Attention boys Mambo and Joomla are not the same. Joomla borns when the ex-developers of Mambo give up the project and decide work as an idependent company. Now we have to CMS: Mambo (Mamboserver.com) and Joomla (Joomla.org).Joomla aparently have a better future because the large comunity that change from Mmambo to Joomla. I'm one of that guys. :D

Mambo has been a staple of my business for years. I've help set up at least 12 sites for clients using mambo over the years. It is great for large expansive portal sites with lots of users, like the one I set up for our Dioceses, but it can be a little complex to manage. Last deployment took three months to set up the system and transistion all the content and six months to train all the empolyees how to use the system. In fact, my billable hours was three times as heavy for training verus programming. Anyway, with the recent split and the needs of my last couple clients, I've moved to Xoops. Xoops seems to be a little more friendly to administrate and train people, especally for smaller to medium sized sites. Right now I am working on sites for three Parishes in the Diocese and it is as been very pleasent to work with.Also, I've worked with Drupel in the past. Drupel was great for a personal site I had and had excellent help features. What every button did and was for had text or a mouse over help button. I don't think I had to consult a PDF manual once. However, Drupel has a couple quirks, like how it names stories and those files have to be added to a top level menu if they are say a static page, but over all very managable. Once things get settled or I need a robust CMS that will run off PostgreSQL, then I will go back and look at Mambo/Joombla.